Rygar And Lynx Games

Alessandro

Website
Visit site
Is there any chance to play the Atari Lynx version of RYGAR on the GP32?
I've checked the HandyPort 2 homepage, but it seems to be dead since sept 2003 :unsure:

I own the Lynx handheld, but have some batteries problems, so I can only use it with an AC adaptor.. I'd like to play those amazing games on the GP..

Any hope?! :huh: Is somebody working on it? Thanks

Later,
Alessandro

I think we're out of luck - I'd love to be able to retire my aging Lynx and play the Lynx version of Rampart on the GP32 - none of the other versions are anywhere near as good.

The emulator does actually work so you can run Lynx games on the GP32, but they are quite slow.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the guy who did the port did some profiling and found that a lot of time was being spent in certain routines which he felt would be hard to optimize or improve. The only good news is that (from looking at the source) the emulator does not seem to be running at 166 Mhz, so overclocking might improve things...

If I ever get some time, I'd like to have a go myself at improving the port, but it's not likely to happen for a while...

I would think that a full speed lynx emu w/sound is certainly possible. The PC version that everyone ports though is reportedly very bloaty and in-efficient. Someone would have to go through and re-write most of the engine. I mean we have a SNES emu that runs decent and a PC engine that is almost perfect so I would think Lynx is very doable. Unfortunatly the Lynx isn't popular enough I guess to attract the "big" emu coders that actually could do it. :(

Gruntfuggly posted on Apr 14 2004 at 04:01 PM said:
I think we're out of luck - I'd love to be able to retire my aging Lynx and play the Lynx version of Rampart on the GP32 - none of the other versions are anywhere near as good.

The emulator does actually work so you can run Lynx games on the GP32, but they are quite slow.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the guy who did the port did some profiling and found that a lot of time was being spent in certain routines which he felt would be hard to optimize or improve. The only good news is that (from looking at the source) the emulator does not seem to be running at 166 Mhz, so overclocking might improve things...

If I ever get some time, I'd like to have a go myself at improving the port, but it's not likely to happen for a while...
Plus the screen contrast is far better on the GP32, and is actually much better on batteries. The GP32 running Lynx under emulation uses less batteries (2 VS 6 or was it 4) and lasts longer than they did with the actual hardware. So it would be much more practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the author of porbs worked on the source a little bit and made a version that was slightly faster, can't remember his site, though.

I'd liked to play Rygar when I was in German Military Service, so when I got my GP32 FLU last week I use the Master-System-emulator "fSMS32" to play Rygar - and it is great .... :D

:huh: Right now I'm working on the GP32iDE plus a Level Editor... I've in my plans to port an Amiga game to the GP (I've already ripped the sprites and tiles B) ), and I've never written/ported an emulator. If I find some time and some people interested, we could try to make this port. ;)

Let's bring Lynx back to life on the GP32 B)

Later,
Alessandro

Back