Safety Tips When Buying From An Online Forum Ad?

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
Can someone give me some safety tips when buying from a forum ad? ive been to many forums that has a classified section selling a product but im relentless to do so since Ive never done it.

Buying from a forum is all about trust. If it's on a forum you've been part of for a while, there will already be some level of trust there. But if it's a forum you don't post on, the risk is higher. Some forums I post on restrict access to their "marketplace" section to established members for that reason.

You want to use a payment method that offers some protection. Paypal is good for this, because you can dispute the transaction and get a refund if things don't go well. Cash On Delivery is also a decent option - you don't pay until the item arrives, and if you don't pay, it gets sent back to the seller.

Direct bank deposit is risky, because there's no guarantee they'll do anything once they get your money. You'll have their personal details of course (name and account number) but it's hard to pursue. The biggest risk is Western Union. You really have to know and trust someone to send money this way, because it's the easiest way to be scammed.

Typically I only pay by Paypal or cheque. The first gives you the ability to dispute the transaction (just make sure they are willing to post quickly as you only have 30 days to dispute), and the second gives you there address - I've actually knocked on someones door before as they didn't send out the stuff I payed for and they seemed quite shocked. I then proceeded to ask them to pay for my fuel and time which they did.

Squidge said:
I've actually knocked on someones door before as they didn't send out the stuff I payed for and they seemed quite shocked. I then proceeded to ask them to pay for my fuel and time which they did.

That's badass. Sounds just like Rogue Traders!

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
Squidge said:
I've actually knocked on someones door before as they didn't send out the stuff I payed for and they seemed quite shocked. I then proceeded to ask them to pay for my fuel and time which they did.

That's badass. Sounds just like Rogue Traders!

LOL this is so you squidge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWFZPJZTxU

Thanks for the reply everybody

Cervante said:
LOL this is so you squidge:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MjWFZPJZTxU

Thanks for the reply everybody
LMAO, classic scene!
laugh.gif

Back