Samba on the Pandora

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
I wanted to add a Samba server/daemon on the Pandora, to easily copy files to/from the Pandora to my main PC. So I compile the latest Samba just to discover that the Pandora already have a smbd daemon running...

Do you know if this daemon is useable and how to configure it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Config file for Samba is:

/etc/samba/smb.conf

It's a typical samba config file. The internet is full of tutorials on how to configure this file. The file itself has many comments on how to configure it as well.

to start it:

Code:
/etc/init.d/samba start

to stop it:

Code:
/etc/init.d/samba stop

to restart it:

Code:
/etc/init.d/samba restart

Hum, is anybody successfully configured this thing so /media (for example) is accessible on Windows, without any user identification, and in read/write?

Right now, I can ping the Pandora, but that's all, I messed with the samba.conf, use plenty "howto", but no luck so far, I cannot browse the Pandora (a simple start \\192.168.0.16\ just don't work, and yes, it's the Pandora's IP).

Some useful options:

public = Yes

guest ok = Yes

read only = No

browseable = Yes

I also had this problem, but i don't remember the exact config.

When setting up, the exported folder should be 777 to ease things.

How do I connect the pandora to an external share (share on desktop PC)? I was attempting to use Thunar, but I don't see how to get it to search for a network share.

Hmm, on my Arch machines I use mount.cifs to do that, but it seems the Pandora doesn't have the cifs-utils, only a cifs kernel module and various old smb/samba things (but not a mount command, it seems), so I'm afraid I don't know how to drive those.  Bump in case anybody else does.

I used this command in the past:

mount -tcifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD  //IP_ADDRESS_OF_WINDOWS_MACHINE/WINDOWS_SHARE_NAME /PATH_TO_MOUNT_DIR
for password-less Windows share:
Code:
mount -tcifs -o username=guest,password=  //IP_ADDRESS_OF_WINDOWS_MACHINE/WINDOWS_SHARE_NAME /PATH_TO_MOUNT_DIR

I found hostnames rarely work in that command and ip addresses just seem to work.

Also isn't gigolo installed on the Pandora as well to manage network mounts?

Does that work on Pandora?  Because there's no mount.cifs in /usr/bin, so I assumed mount -t cifs would fail.

On my up-to-date Linux boxen, I use the same command, although I tend to omit the password= option and enter it on stdin.  And at least on Win8+ boxes (not sure about 7) the username will need to be your windows live account email in my experience: username@outlook.com.

AIUI, hostnames will only work if they can be resolved via DNS - that command doesn't speak LDAP or Win Workgroups stuff, so it can't find out what you've set on your Windows box, but the IP address just works.

I have this exact shell script on my Rebirth Pandora to mount my network drives:

trashy-OP512:~/Desktop$ cat mount_netdrives.sh
#!/bin/sh
gksudo -uroot "mount -tcifs -ousername=guest,password= //192.168.0.120/files /mnt/files/";
gksudo -uroot "mount -tcifs -ousername=guest,password= //192.168.0.120/videos /mnt/videos";

I think mount.cifs is not necessary, I don't have it on a few of my x86 linux machines as well and that command just works. 

Ah, okay.  My 'man mount.cifs' says:

mount.cifs mounts a Linux CIFS filesystem. It is usually invoked indirectly by the mount(8) command when using the "-t cifs" option.

I'm running mount from util-linux 2.7, built second week of October.  I guess this might be a newer way of doing things.  But it's good to know mount -t cifs still works on Pandora.  I usually download things from Windows boxes to my linux laptop, then scp it from there onto my Pandora, but this might save a step for stuff I know I'll only need on my Pandora.

From what I am reading, there is no way to discover network shares, one must know what shares exist, and explicitly mount them. Not what I was hoping for.

I guess I will stick with the USB cable for transferring files to my Pandora.

Back