Scale - A Pandora shell

Zoxc

Still Fresh
I'm making a shell for Pandora. Currently it's just a dummy menu, but it has a nice framework already.

Here is a simple video displaying what it currently looks like:
[youtube]spegJ6qTNIA[/youtube]

If you want to try it for yourself you can checkout the source from http://github.com/Zoxc/scale or download one of the pre-compiled binaries:

I would like some comments suggestion on the layout and functionallity of the menu. I didn't like the vertical scrolling in the categories too much, so I should return to horizontal scrolling. The header in the categories is to how the current position like the Vista address bar or Nautilus. There will be subcategories you can open so it's not completely useless ;)

I think having horizontal selection of the running application (with preview maybe?) would be better. Then you would have misc stuff at top, current application in the middle and categories to launch new application at bottom.

The header in the categories kinda screwed up the style so I might need an hand with the graphics, maybe some cheesy sound effect too ^_^

You might also want to take a look at my suggestion for a screen management protocol: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=154

yeah i remember this from gp32x. replaced the background to see what the wallpapers would look like.

phrosty said:
looks great! add in some scroll bars.

Yes please do! It's a great concept, but those icons bouncing up and down as you move the mouse cursor is horrible!

How the customization will be?
I would like to see the options for:
* set the number of columns displayed
* toggle the titles AND/OR icons
* font customization - size, color, shadow, outline
* adjustable space between items/icons
* custom icons assignment out of icon library or set of pics
* custom wallpaper
* custom sounds to specific actions/movements

And maybe few of simple PIM 'widgets' (in form of plug-ins perhaps?):
* simple calendar over the wallpaper (just for overview purpose)
* calculator
* customized watch (bigger font, analogue, binary, etc.)
* simple sticky note widget/task list

Please, take these just as an list of ideas. I guess you have some of the features already implemented.
Keep up the good work :wink: it looks promising.
P.S.: I've never had portable gaming console so I'm new to this kind of shells/menus but I've got lot of user experiences with many Palm OS apps and what always grabs me (and it's not just me) is the customization.

Looks nice enough, but it seems to depend on a mouse pointer, and as such needs the user to use the touchscreen. Personally, I don't like scratching my screen to buggery (after a year, my DS is very visibly scratched) so I'll not be using this one unless you can navigate easily with the other controls.

D.

Dunny said:
Looks nice enough, but it seems to depend on a mouse pointer, and as such needs the user to use the touchscreen. Personally, I don't like scratching my screen to buggery (after a year, my DS is very visibly scratched) so I'll not be using this one unless you can navigate easily with the other controls.

D.

You could use the analogue numbs for mouse control (at least I HOPE you will be able to). Anyway, use of the d-pad shouldn't be too hard to code in for selection of icons. Well I would hope that use of the d-pad would be coded in!

I actually like being able to drag the stuff around in an iPhone-esque way. That's going to be so convenient.

This project is it isn't going to be X compatible, though, right? :(

I thought you were talking about, like, a shell. y'know, like a case. I guess I'm still alone on that.

I like the way it looks modern.
But i don't like the icons/colors.. i mean it lacks of originality. I know that's just the "theme" but..
And it doesn't look "pandora oriented". I don't know how to express what i think.
By the way, I'll follow this topic.

Hi Zoxc.

I love what your doing here, and yes, to follow up on your request in another thread, I will make any sounds you require.

Just tell me what your after and I'll start working on this.
Length, format, and how many different sounds you think you will require.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.

Sharp said:
Hi Zoxc.

I love what your doing here, and yes, to follow up on your request in another thread, I will make any sounds you require.

Just tell me what your after and I'll start working on this.
Length, format, and how many different sounds you think you will require.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.

Here is a little list of sound most likely will be used.
  • A clicking sound ;)
  • Category moving up.
  • Category moving down.
  • Category switching.
  • A startup sound. It should be pretty short so it doesn't disturb the other sounds. 2-3 notes are pretty common. I don't know if it's possible to play it while the kernel is loading, then it might be sligtly longer.

All category animations are done in 1 second.

Here is some more sound that might be used:
  • Loading application sound. I love the PSP's, even though it's overkill.
  • Focusing sound (When an object is selected)
  • A shutdown sound.
  • A hibernation sound.
  • A sleep mode sound.
  • Startup from hibernation sound.
  • Startup from sleep mode sound.

Now I must figure out how to record with sound :p

Edit: Here is a screenshot of how the application switcher might end up: (or something like that)
scale5lc1.png

Wow, the new version looks awesome. Great work and I can't wait to see where this is by the tiem I have my pandora unboxed!

Back