Screen Brightness For Pandora

massplus

Still Fresh
Well, I don't Know if someone tested the screen brightness. If so, I really think it could be interesting to find out how efficient it is - compared to the PSP for example or compared to small screen PDAs.

The PSP is actually a huge disappointement as far as playing outdoors is concerned (even using it as a GPS in a car under normal weather is). It is nearly impossible to see the screen even though the PSP is plugged on AC power and at maximum brightness level.

Up to now, my PDA, Acer C510, same size as mobile phone HC Touch, is the only satisfactory mobile screen I've ever used: it allows me to watch movies in broad sunlight.

I really want to buy this new Pandora dream toy, but the thing is, if the backlight of the screen is not powerful enough, many people could be disappointed (or not lol since I couldn't find a single message on the forum bringing up the subject).

PS: Sorry for the quality of my English, I'm not a native speaker.

From the spec list on the wiki: QUOTE
Brightness:300 cd/m2, Contrast ratio:450:1, Response time:tr+tf=30ms

The LCD panel is fully transmissive, so don't expect fantastic viewability in direct sunlight.

Kloplop321 said:
Aw, can't it be both fully backlit and sun friendly? :(
Nope. Backlights are always better than frontlights, at least in most indoor situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
well yeah I know, but the classic DS was able to have backlight and look good in the sun, while the DS Lite doesn't which sucks

Wait, so we can't control the brightness? I was hoping we'd be able to turn it down to save battery, like a laptop.

Kloplop321 said:
well yeah I know, but the classic DS was able to have backlight and look good in the sun, while the DS Lite doesn't which sucks
AFAIK, the original DS did not have a "True" backlight, it was just a more refined version of the GBA SP front light. But there are screens that are backlit and look good, they are just really expensive... The ipod touch, for example.

EDIT: We can probably adjust the brightness, but backlit screen are HARDER to see in the sun with low brightness. So you need a lot more battery life to play outside. Good reason to live in a computer cave. :lol:

yeah, that's true.. But I still wish the LCD's could reflect from the outside as well, I hate glare from the sun.. I travel a bit, and I only play portable games like on my PSP or NDS when not at home.

The Nintendo DS had a Front Light, which explains while it looks washed-out and in the dark (and has brightness differences on the screen).

The DS Lite has a backlight, as well as the PSP, the gp2x, the GP32 BLU. Those don't work in sunlight but look perfect in the dark.

Best thing for sunlight is a non-lit unit. Take an old GP32 NLU outside in direct sunlight - looks even better than any backlit unit in the dark for my opinion.

It's pretty simple:
A NLU (non-lit-unit) basically has a reflector behind the LCD. This way, the more light comes from above, the better the screen is lit. Perfect in sunlight.

An FLU (Front-lit-unit) is basically a normal NLU with some light around and a special foil before the LCD. Because of that foil the colors do look washed out and a bit dark, but it works okay (not as good as an NLU) in direct sunlight. Basically the frontlight is just the same as if you have some light coming from above onto an NLU LCD (somebody remember the old GB Magnifiers with light built-in?)

A BLU (back-lit-unit) doesn't have a reflective foil behind the LCD. It has a special diffusing foil which can be lighten up by electricity. That light gives the display a high contrast and clear colors to the LCD screen. However, if there is coming light from above which is stronger than the BLU light, you can't pretty much see anything anymore.

yeah, which sucks. I hate it when my laptop's screen is in the sun whilst in the car.. also, how much pressure can this screen receive at once before it cracks?

Heh, with the first prototypes just about made, I doubt they will be pressure testing them anytime soon :p
Having said that, I have heard the screen is the same as that of a certain Archos.

well since they are using screens that are not "custom patented technology" stuff, it is likely that they are not the original creators of the screen, so I would think that information is available if we had the part model number.

Kloplop321 said:
well since they are using screens that are not "custom patented technology" stuff, it is likely that they are not the original creators of the screen, so I would think that information is available if we had the part model number.
This is hardly a spec you're likely to find listed for any LCD panel, save something specifically designed for harsh environments. I don't see how even having this number could be helpful. There are perfectly good reasons why the part numbers for various bits of the Pandora have not been disclosed.

Well I am not asking for them, as I would not have anything to do with them once I would have them; and that number would not be useful as I would not want to test and prove it wrong :p
I would just like to know for knowledge's sake.

i just bought a gp32 nlu to play in direct sunlight :)

cant play my old gba anymore. i need a genesis emu :)

i didnt know the first ds was front light.

renejr902 said:
i just bought a gp32 nlu to play in direct sunlight :)

cant play my old gba anymore. i need a genesis emu :)

i didnt know the first ds was front light.
Enjoy ;)
You got that for a good price, you did :)

The old DS was not frontlit.

Frontlighting is often misunderstood - but by definition it means the lighting comes from one (or more) light source positioned along the side(s) of the screen, where the light is drawn OVER (i.e. in front) the LCD itself.

The old DS used semi transflective backlit screens. That is why they were viewable outdoors, yet not as bright or richly colored as the DS Lite screens. The DS Lite uses backlit TFT screens, which is why they're not as viewable outdoors but far more colorful and bright. But in both cases, the actual light source is behind the LCD itself.

So both DS models are in fact backlit. But different types of LCD's are used.

Back