Screen Protector

Bluepixie

Still Fresh
Website
www.pausegaming.com
First off, I hope this is in the correct section. I'm not asking for help so I think this seems like the best place, sorry if I'm wrong.

Now, the problem is the GP2X screen protectors. Since buying the console about a month ago I've had two protectors, the first being applied when I first got the device. Seeing as I put it on in my room, I expected to maybe get a few bits of dust under it as I applied it, and I did.

However, I wanted it to be a bit better than that as it was quite visible during use.

So I bought a new one before I left to Spain. As I was going to be working in a research lab with access to a highly rated clean room I decided that I would wait until then to apply this new screen protector.

I attempted to put on this new screen yesterday, with no luck. I removed the old protector and cleaned it thoroughly before putting on the new screen. When it came to putting on the the new protector I found bits of dust were getting caught under it. This clean room I'm working in is rated to 100 (that's 100 bits of dust 0.5 microns wide in one cubic foot, i.e. very clean!) plus I was working in the wet-benches which have extra air circulation. I was puzzled at first by this. I cleaned the screen again, and removed the bits of dust from under protector with anti-static tweasers and blasted the whole thing over with a nitrogen gun.

No dust on the screen. I tried applying the screen again, more dust!!! I inspected the screen protector further and found that there was dust trapped on it, even on the section were I had not peeled off the protective coating.

Which leads me to one simple conclusion, the screen protectors are not manufactured in a particularly clean environment, which pretty much defeats the purpose of them. So I'm just going to use the GP2X without one and hope it doesn't get scratched.

Anybody else found this? Or it is just that I've been unlucky and had two dusty screen protectors?

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I personally don't use a protector on my 2x, as I keep it stored in a DS hard case, where nothing can touch the screen. As it is safe to assume that I am not gonna run a key or fingernail down the screen during use, I don't see much use for one.

Rolling it on without a bubble is my problem, never had any dust problems yet I live next to a freshly plowed field. I start it on one edge and roll it on pulling the backing off as I press it down, took me three to get the first one right but last couple have been one shot no sweat, practice I guess. I keep it in hard case too, think it's my spare batteries or my tv-out cable in there rattling around marking it up. Wish the netting was a separate compartment.

Your quite lucky, I wish I could go without the protector but I have a nasty habit of throwing things in my pocket and Im pretty sure it would get damaged in there. When I first got my 2x I excitedly turned it on without the protector and remember how better it looked without the protector. :(

My point is that the protector was contaminated before application.

I tried to attach it in a clean room. There was no dust to contaminate the screen before hand, unless it already had been before I'd opened the packaging.

That's my point.

I had attached DS protectors in my room before, not exactly a clean room, and not had any problems. I have applied at least 4 sets of DS screen protectors before attempting this, with perfect results. It was not bubbles that was the problem, is was a contaminated protector.

I believe the first one I did was the same. Clearly I'm not using a protector now, transport shall be done in my hard case only and care taken with the screen.

It certainly looks better with out the protector! Mmmm shiny! :)

The best way I have found to attach screen protectors (I also use them for my PDA) is as follows.

Obviously try to select an area that is clean and without much dust, clean your screen with a soft lens cleaner or the like.
Peel back one side of the protective film and stick that to the corner of the screen, its most likely going to try to cling to the screen due to static, you can use this to your advantage and lightly drag it into position.
Now, take a credit card or a piece of soft cardboard and press the edge down onto the screen, gently working any air out.
Peel back the sheet, working the film down with the card, making sure you get no bubbles.

This is the method I use on my pda and it works more often than not. You can buy semi permanent screen protectors as well as ones that last about a month, depends on what you want to look at. I use ones that scratch relatively easily, but are quite thin.

~Fox

*rolls eyes*

Ok, when I said I had a contaminated screen protector, that's what I ment. Did you even read my posts? I don't need to be told how to put one on! Thanks.

I guess not many people here have access to a clean room to verify what I have found. :S

Thanks again.

Bluepixie said:
*rolls eyes*

Ok, when I said I had a contaminated screen protector, that's what I ment. Did you even read my posts? I don't need to be told how to put one on! Thanks.

I guess not many people here have access to a clean room to verify what I have found. :S

Thanks again.

I think the majority of the people here know what a clean room is... and exactly what you meant. It is just doubtful that any of us have access to that environment.

Do you think that maybe some of the posts left here where not directed at you but others that have replied... to help them solve their issues with bubbles under their screen protectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluepixie said:
*rolls eyes*

Thanks again.
Yep the screen protectors from gph are probably contaminated. Nothing us forum members can do about it. I guess just try cleaning the protector as best as you can before applying. :unsure:

Bluepixie said:
No dust on the screen. I tried applying the screen again, more dust!!! I inspected the screen protector further and found that there was dust trapped on it, even on the section were I had not peeled off the protective coating.
Sadly I don't have access to a clean room :( I found that rinsing the protector with water and then carefully drying it with a lintless towel before I applied it worked quite well.

I wish I had a method for getting the bubbles out though.

C

I have not had to apply one yet... I am told that the MkII Value package I have has the screen protector applied... however... being that I have been an avid PocketPC owner for the last 15 or so years... I am familar with the process... one way I have been able to remove the lint on some protectors is to use tape to very carefully lift it off the sticky side of the protector.

The other secret is to do it in the bathroom... run a hot bath.. or shower to let the steam settle the dust particles. I have had varying success with it... but generally it works well enough.

Hi, I have a protector on it, i got 2 very small dust particals (luckly on the outside), but i only see them when i hold my gp2x in a specific angle.

I did it in a room with lots of dust and smoke ^^

Back