Screen ratio Pyra, 16:9 or 16:10

Foxgod

Hi ED, or anyone else who might know.

has the screen ratio already been determined?

I believe it will be 5 inch, but will the screen be wide screen like the pandora, or will it be 16:10 or another ratio?

Personally i think that 16:10 would lead to better scaling with games.

But would it even be possible to get a 16:10 screen?

It's FullHD, so 16:9.

Binky made a nice little python script which gives some details based on resolution and given size:

Code:
------------------------------------------
  Columns:               1920
  Rows:                  1080
  Diagonal length (in)   5
  Pixel density          440.6 ppi
  Megapixels             2.0 MP
  Area                   10.7 in^2  =  68.9 cm^2
  Width                  4.4 in    =  11.1 cm
  Height                 2.5 in    =  6.2 cm
  Orientation:           Landscape
  Aspect ratio:          16 : 9
  Sometimes known as     fullHD
- Neelix

Tnx for the info :)

With 5 inch wide screen will be fine for me as well, on the pandora i dont like running games in 4:3 cause you can barely see something.

But 4:3 on 5 inch should be a lot more comfortable.

Screen sizes are specified by the diagonal, not the width, so its actually 4.4" wide.

(for comparison the 4.3" 5:3 screen of the Pandora is 3.7" wide)

- Neelix

For comparison, what is the output of Binky's script on the current Pandora screen?

I think that if we use that full HD screen at half resolution (960x540), it's still as good or better as the Pandora screen in every aspect. 440 ppi is insane.

Code:
  Columns:               800
  Rows:                  480
  Diagonal length (in)   4.3
  Pixel density          217.0 ppi
  Megapixels             0.0 MP
  Area                   8.2 in^2  =  52.6 cm^2
  Width                  3.7 in    =  9.4 cm
  Height                 2.2 in    =  5.6 cm
  Orientation:           Landscape
  Aspect ratio:          5 : 3
  Sometimes known as     WVGA
- Neelix

I believe it will be 5 inch, but will the screen be wide screen like the pandora, or will it be 16:10 or another ratio?

He claimed 1080p, so that would be 16:9. Any of the TV resolutions are 16:9. (720p, 1080p, 1440p, etc.)

I think that if we use that full HD screen at half resolution (960x540), it's still as good or better as the Pandora screen in every aspect. 440 ppi is insane.
I think a lot of users would complain if they got their device and it didn't appear to be 1080p as advertised. I think the half screen resolution option would be better as an option that you can enable on your own.

-God Ginrai

He claimed 1080p, so that would be 16:9. Any of the TV resolutions are 16:9. (720p, 1080p, 1440p, etc.)

I think a lot of users would complain if they got their device and it didn't appear to be 1080p as advertised. I think the half screen resolution option would be better as an option that you can enable on your own.

-God Ginrai
It's a full distro.

Xrandr should work and you may switch to what resolution you like.

For Emulators and Game it might be faster with half the resolution so if they use a lower resolution it's fine I think.

It's a full distro.

For Emulators and Game it might be faster with half the resolution so if they use a lower resolution it's fine I think.
Of course. My point is that the default should be the screen's native resolution. We don't want people complaining that their device isn't 1080p because the resolution wasn't at 1080p when they received it.

-God Ginrai

It's a full distro.

Of course. My point is that the default should be the screen's native resolution. We don't want people complaining that their device isn't 1080p because the resolution wasn't at 1080p when they received it.

-God Ginrai
As I've seen the power of OMAP on FOSDEM I don't fear any slowdowns any more.

Back