Hardware Screen won't turn on, stripped screw in case

Breaded Butter

Still Fresh
So, I dropped my Pandora. Now the screen won't come on. I'd look at the insides, but the screw near the volume knob is stripped and I can't open the case. The LEDs still work so I'm assuming that it's not completely hosed, but I can't get inside to actually check anything. What should I do?

Depending on where you live, some might be able to help you. (Link for the US, LinuxSwat for France, maybe some more I dont know).
Else use the RMA procedure :)

You can always try to remove the stripped screw before sending it for repairs:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

Nice link, unfortunately though most of those solutions are no use for a sunken screw down the end of a shaft, as in three of the Pandora's five bottom screws.

When I did it to mine the first time I tried opening it, I drilled out the screws all of the way. It took a number of check runs in measuring out how far to drill without going through the top of the unit, but in the end I was able to drill out the screw body and just leave a ribbon of thread in the hole which IIRC came out when I pinged the remains of the screw head out. I used a hand drill for that by the way - I don't fancy using any power tools on my Pandora.

Okay, update time! I somehow managed to undo the stripped screw. I tried for a miracle and reseated the screen ribbon to no avail. I managed to get the top half open as well. There's no obvious damage to anything, but I've noticed another problem: both the replacement screens and cables are out of stock. I'm really not sure what my options are now.

Oh. Okay then. Thanks for showing me specifically what to look for. After seeing that picture I can confirm that the coil is not loose, but is instead missing. This is likely the problem. I'm guessing I'll have to send it in so that makes my only remaining questions, shipping from the USA about how long should I expect repairs to take, and are there any common noob mistakes I shouldn't make when doing so?

Back