Screensize Snes < Screensize Gp2x

daminator

Hi!

Why the screensize of the gp2x Emu doesn't fit the screensize of the gp2x?
Will this be changed soon?

It's probably not a priority as stretching takes time and processer power.

Your stuck with it I'm afraid, but it's not bad.

The reason is because the SNES res is lower than the GP2xs 320*240

Yes. All you do is take some electrical tape and stick it around the screen, so it covers everything but the SNES emulator box.

Instant fullscreen SNES emulation.

OK, now to serious. The GP2X has a hardware scaler, meaning that resizing shouldn't take up too much processing power, (I hope this is right) so it should be possible.

the difference is only 20px or something, scaleing to fullscreen would be a total waste of image quality and speed.

daminator posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:11 PM said:
Hi!

Why the screensize of the gp2x Emu doesn't fit the screensize of the gp2x?
Will this be changed soon?

It could be stretched but it would look ugly as hell. There are more important things to do here like getting it to run at a decent speed and framerate.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's looks somehow strange, because the aspect ratio is different, because the pixels on the TV were stretched.
you have a fixed pixel aspect ratio on a lcd matrix, so saling with line doubling is the only way to "solve" the prob.

but i must say, it looks really good on the PSP. i guess opensnes on the PSP runs a blur filter to smoothen the picture, but it looks very good.
it could be a task for the 2nd cpu, if possible *confused with that*

Vimacs posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:32 PM said:
the difference is only 20px or something, scaleing to fullscreen would be a total waste of image quality and speed.

My thoughts exaclty.

SNES Games sure look much more vibrant and crisp in their native resolution. However making it fullscreen won't blur it too hard since it's not much difference in the resolution. But I would prefer the native res over the scaled any day!

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 08:30 PM said:
However making it fullscreen won't blur it too hard since it's not much difference in the resolution.
Actually this small change in resolution would make the screen look all distorted.

If you have the snes screen at 320x224 and scaled it to double its resolution at 640x448 then it would be simple and would just map a 4 pixel square to 1 original pixel.

But scaling the resolution 320x224 to 320x240 leaves you with a non-integer scale ratio and seeing as its not possible to map part of a pixel the pixel mapping has to be rounded up/down so that some pixels are doubled in size while others arent. This will leave you with a distorted image.

DaveC posted on Dec 3 2005 at 06:42 PM said:
It could be stretched but it would look ugly as hell.

:p There´s nothing that DaveC fears more than scaling/resizing images :D ...
I´m under the impression that he has never seen how good this can look, for instance on the PSP and Zodiac Emus ;)
However, scaling would make sense here, since it is the only way to have the correct aspect ratio.
If someone finds out how to make use of the gp2x´s hardware scaling, it shouldn´t be a performance problem either.

chris_r posted on Dec 3 2005 at 08:54 PM said:
However making it fullscreen won't blur it too hard since it's not much difference in the resolution.
Actually this small change in resolution would make the screen look all distorted.

If you have the snes screen at 320x224 and scaled it to double its resolution at 640x448 then it would be simple and would just map a 4 pixel square to 1 original pixel.

But scaling the resolution 320x224 to 320x240 leaves you with a non-integer scale ratio and seeing as its not possible to map part of a pixel the pixel mapping has to be rounded up/down so that some pixels are doubled in size while others arent. This will leave you with a distorted image.
What´s that nonsense? The SNES has a resolution of 256 x 224.

Hum. Let me demonstrate something.

This is a random picture with a resolution of 256 x 224, just like the SNES:
kkoria200135514869fq.png

If we resize it to the gp2x´s resolution, 320 x 240, will it look horrible now?
Let´s give it a shot:
resized8sn.png

Looks quite nice, doesn´t it? So why not resize?
The aspect ratio looks better at 320 x 240, because it was intended to be 4:3 anyway.

Just have a look at those bubbles on the upper side of the screen. They look like eggs on the original 256 x 256 image, but resized they look like they´re supposed to be.

chris_r posted on Dec 3 2005 at 08:54 PM said:
...scaling the resolution 320x224 to 320x240 leaves you with a non-integer scale ratio and seeing as its not possible to map part of a pixel the pixel mapping has to be rounded up/down so that some pixels are doubled in size while others arent.
...since you obviously have no clue how scaling works nowadays, you better shut up.
Do you see any distortions in the above image? Eh?

chris_r posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:54 PM said:

it should still be an option... i hate to mention namco museum for the psp, but in this case, it's fitting.

noone would want to stretch an original atari or mame screen to match that of the psp's, but the option is there. the pixel resizing is also quite a nice option for tv out, too. i would much rather see an snes fullscreen on my tv. could there be a software 'niceifier' that sort of makes the pixels less harsh, etc, that could be implemented on the gp2x? i'm thinking things like the super eagle engine in ZSNES.

the option should still be there, is all i'm saying, so not everybody who's like davec and has to have everything original aspect ratio, fps, and sound to be happy, can be happy with whatever they have. and, assuming tv-out is implemented, the option to rescale to 640 x 448.

Fishbong posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
What´s that nonsense? The SNES has a resolution of 256 x 224.

Hum. Let me demonstrate something.

This is a random picture with a resolution of 256 x 224, just like the SNES:
kkoria200135514869fq.png

If we resize it to the gp2x´s resolution, 320 x 240, will it look horrible now?
Let´s give it a shot:
resized8sn.png

Looks quite nice, doesn´t it? So why not resize?
The aspect ratio looks better at 320 x 240, because it was intended to be 4:3 anyway.

exactly... my... point... the option should be there. everyone's used to looking at an snes through this lens.

Fishbong posted on Dec 3 2005 at 09:25 PM said:
:blink: Woah calm down. Theres no need to get so stressy.

The snes had variable resolutions, the most common used being 256x224, 320x224 and 512x224 and i thought that 320x224 was the most common. obviously i was mistaken.

And scaling can be done using various algorithms which produce different results, obviously the algorithms used in photoshop might not be the same as the algorithms used in emulating seeing as one will be optimised for high quality and the other being optimised for minimal processing power.

That image isn't an accurate demonstration - you obviously did it with a program that did it with some "intelligence" in how it blurred the pixels. Try it again and without Interpolation – you'll notice that the stripped diagonal lines will look awful.

DijiTao posted on Dec 3 2005 at 05:09 PM said:
That image isn't an accurate demonstration - you obviously did it with a program that did it with some "intelligence" in how it blurred the pixels. Try it again and without Interpolation – you'll notice that the stripped diagonal lines will look awful.
Nevertheless, those filters are still available in emulators, just that they take up more resources.

ut scaling the resolution 320x224 to 320x240 leaves you with a non-integer scale ratio and seeing as its not possible to map part of a pixel the pixel mapping has to be rounded up/down so that some pixels are doubled in size while others arent. This will leave you with a distorted image.

You're getting something wrong there I guess, 320*224 is the res of the Neo Geo games, and I agree that res shouldn't be scaled. SNES Res(for most of it's games) is 256*224 pixels.

Resizing it to 274*240 pixels however, would keep it in the correct aspect ratio and wouldn't stretch it apart! However you would still have some boarders to the left and right and the games wouldn't look that crisp anymore. I don't know how well the interlacer of the GP2x is programmed, so I really can't say anything about the quality there...

Let's look at Mario Kart for example:

boarders5aj.png

I would prefer the second mode with boarders to the left and right over the disorted scaled full screen mode.

However the native Resolution also looks sweet and very crisp, it's a though choice to make, but most people will go with the second version because of that little "Anti Aliasing" Touch to it. But as I mentioned before, I don't know how good the interlacer of the GP2x Display is working. This is the best case it would look, made with a professional Imaging Program...

yes but your now talking spending cpu resources on this --- we can't even get the snes up to full speed yet -- there's just no way that scaling is going to happen (in a pretty way) any time soon.

What was the first algorithm used?
on the bubble bobble game, is that a MAME one?

Back