Scummvm: 1.0.0 "preview 1" Releases For The Gp2X And Wiz

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Not much to say really, builds are available for both the GP2X and the Wiz.

Full details can be found on my site.

http://scummvm.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=69

The Wiz build is dramatically improved over the early alpha releases for anyone still using them.

New engines included in the upcoming 1.0.0 release such as Tinsel (Discworld 1) are enabled in this release.

Hi, thanks for working on this.

So far I've tried sam&max and day of the tentacle on the wiz, both run but sam&max has no speech (it does on the gp2x) and both games lose all sound after saving a game.

emphy said:
Hi, thanks for working on this.

So far I've tried sam&max and day of the tentacle on the wiz, both run but sam&max has no speech (it does on the gp2x) and both games lose all sound after saving a game.

I tried the same two games yet and for me Day of the Tentacle had no Speech, while Sam & Max had. Strange :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobiag said:
I tried the same two games yet and for me Day of the Tentacle had no Speech, while Sam & Max had. Strange :huh:

What format is the game sound in? out of interest.

Odd bug that one, can't say I have seen it but it's not a test approach I tried.

First of all, thanks! This is the next killer-app for the Wiz.

There is still an issue about saving:
If you save a game and use the virtual keyboard to enter a title for the save game, sound stops working completely and if you want to save to savegame slot 1 in actually saves to slot 2 and so on, hard to explain, just try it out. It works fine if you don't choose name for the savegame or use an existing one, so I think this can be fixed easily.

Some games (Full Throttle) require overclocking for clean sound and scrolling, consider adding cpufreq.

And please: tell us the secret of the touchscreen support. It's almost pixel-perfect, it is not at all in any(?) other Wiz app except the screen test.

This is a fantastic port.
The touch screen support is AWESOME!!!
Working great on many great SCUMM games.
Thanks!

DJWillis said:
Nobiag said:

Odd bug that one, can't say I have seen it but it's not a test approach I tried.

It's no bug, John. Nobiag wrote at gp2x.de that he found the problem...

Well I tried Monkey Island 1 so far with this release and it is working great. I had no problems with saving (didn't loose sound or anything) and loading the save game wasn't an issue either.

Regards

André

emphy said:
I had working sound and speech in both of them. (DOS CD version)
After saving sound stops working, but when quitting and reloading, the sound was just back again.
Thanks a lot for this port DJWillis!
Ghanji

andrewe1 said:
Is there support for Full Throttle?

Yes, it works great. It's a 320x240 game...

I'll look into the save slot issues and sound issues. I'll try and replecate some of them.

I am also adding a few ARM optemised routines to try and speed up some pinch points in games (Sam and Max on the GP2X for example) and looking into what sort of performance I can get using an ARM optimised software downscale on the Wiz as a option until I can get the Wiz hardware to behave nicely when it comes to scaling.

sbock said:
DJWillis said:
Nobiag said:

It's no bug, John. Nobiag wrote at gp2x.de that he found the problem...

No, i have not found the problem, i just switched to the mac version of the game, where the speech for some reason works fine. But the Dos CD Version still has no speech sound on my wiz, while the same game files work fine on my pc.

Nobiag said:
No, i have not found the problem, i just switched to the mac version of the game, where the speech for some reason works fine. But the Dos CD Version still has no speech sound on my wiz, while the same game files work fine on my pc.

Can you please tell me the format of the sound files, uncompressed, MP3, OGG etc.?

Without that info it is proving rather hard to track down so will most likely go unfixed.

If anyone reads this post in the next hour or so and has half an hour they could spend testing can they drop me a mail.

I am working on a new Wiz build that has a few fixes I hope to sort audio issues in addition to a load of ARM assembly optimisations and an ARM assembly downscaler, playing Discworld 2 downscaled on the Wiz as I type this, actually works quite well with only a small slowdown :eek: (and a load of minor graphics glitches but hey ho).

I have also applied all that ARM assembly optimisation to the GP2X build so that should be noticeably better in games like Sam&Max with a bit of luck :) .

I just saw this new thread. Wow! This is great news. I can't wait to get home to try this out tonight.

Thanks for the great work!!

Back