Scummvm, Anyone Working On It?

Sonic-NKT

Hi,
i just wanted to aks if a scummvm port ist still in dev... weve seen great versions, but those were years ago and not that optimized. so my question is, is someone working in the moment on a new version of scummvm for the gp32 and if not, cant someone do it. we miss great games :-/
thanks

I remember writing an email or two to DJWillis and he said he is working on a new version, but that is some month ago, so I don`t really know...

A faster version would really rock! And something to pass through the fights in Indy3, since you can`t click like Indy4, but you have to use the numbers to fight...

At least my speech version of Loom works at nearly fullspeed...

Oh, and support for those other four games that would fit on the smc (Beneath A Steel Sky, Flight Of The Amazon Queen, Simon The Sorcerer 1&2)

yes.. and maybe also support for those bigger games without movies..
they were several games released as freeware lately.. would like to playthose on the gp32

How fast runs "Day of the Tentacle" with full speech in GPScummVM? It's my favorite Adventure ever. Followed by "Indy IV" and the "Space Quest" - Saga.
Are Sierra - Adventures playable somehow on GP32?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alucard posted on Feb 20 2005 at 02:32 PM said:
How fast runs "Day of the Tentacle" with full speech in GPScummVM? It's my favorite Adventure ever. Followed by "Indy IV" and the "Space Quest" - Saga.
Are Sierra - Adventures playable somehow on GP32?

Slow. :( Same with Sam&Max. You could just try the more overclocked versions, I just tried the 156 mhz version. (the highest i can oc)

Oh, and I have a question, too: Whats the difference between FreeSCI and Sarien? They are both for the same games right? The ones you had to type the commands (like Larry1). So which one is better?

I really would like to see an interpreter (ported to the gp32 :D ) for the "newer" sierra games, those that where controled with the mouse (Gobliiins,Gobliins & Goblins would be cool :D Or Larry 5, or, or, or...)

Oh, and I have a question, too: Whats the difference between FreeSCI and Sarien?
Sarien is an AGI interpreter, FreeSCI is an SCI interpreter. See respective websites for more info. They both support a different set of games, but some games were released once as AGI and later again as an updated SCI version.

I really would like to see an interpreter (ported to the gp32 :D ) for the "newer" sierra games, those that where controled with the mouse (Gobliiins,Gobliins & Goblins would be cool :D Or Larry 5, or, or, or...)
Support for newer Sierra SCI games is currently being worked on in the FreeSCI project. Btw, the Goblins series wasn't made by Sierra, so that will never be supported by FreeSCI.

I ported FreeSCI to GP32, but there's still work that needs to be done on it. For example, there's currently no sound support. I put the port on hold (temporarily) due to lack of user interest, but I do plan to work on it again sometime in the future.

The Phantom posted on Feb 20 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
Btw, the Goblins series wasn't made by Sierra, so that will never be supported by FreeSCI.

Did I remember that wrong *searching my old cd-roms* Well COKTEL VISION, but the Sierra Logo is also on the cd-label, in fact, my goblins cds are from the Sierra Originals classics collection, so they are Sierra games B) (yes, made by Coktel, but still Sierra games) B)

That`s the same for some Lucas Arts Adventures (if I remember correctly), made by daughter companies (don`t really know whats it called in America [Tochterfirma]) but still they are called Lucas Arts Adventures and are playable in ScummVM.

I hope I didn`t mixed that up with Lucasfilm Games, Lucas Arts` former name,...

Oh, just looked at my old game boxes on top of my cabinet, an noticed that I mixed it up with Softgold/Funsoft... shame on me... :eek:

Quiest posted on Feb 20 2005 at 11:56 PM said:
Btw, the Goblins series wasn't made by Sierra, so that will never be supported by FreeSCI.

Did I remember that wrong *searching my old cd-roms* Well COKTEL VISION, but the Sierra Logo is also on the cd-label, in fact, my goblins cds are from the Sierra Originals classics collection, so they are Sierra games B) (yes, made by Coktel, but still Sierra games) B)
The Sierra logo is also present in Half-Life, do you consider that a Sierra game as well? Anyway, the Goblins series was not made with Sierra's adventure game creation software (i.e. they're neither AGI nor SCI), so will never be supported by any AGI or SCI intepreter.

The Phantom posted on Feb 21 2005 at 12:01 AM said:
Quiest posted on Feb 20 2005 at 11:56 PM said:

The Sierra logo is also present in Half-Life, do you consider that a Sierra game as well? Anyway, the Goblins series was not made with Sierra's adventure game creation software (i.e. they're neither AGI nor SCI), so will never be supported by any AGI or SCI intepreter.

Well, you`re right but atleast I always think of Sierra, when Half-Life is mentioned (perhaps because I simply can`t forget the incredibly loud Sierra logo intro video of Half-Life, It went on my nerves)
And I didn`t know the Goblins series was made on a completely different engine, I didn`t like most of them (Only Gobli(i)ns, Larry5-7 and Woodruff) so I don`t know that much about them)

Quiest posted on Feb 21 2005 at 12:30 AM said:
Well, you`re right but atleast I always think of Sierra, when Half-Life is mentioned (perhaps because I simply can`t forget the incredibly loud Sierra logo intro video of Half-Life, It went on my nerves)
Yeah, same here. With Coktel Vision the situation is different because that company was actually purchased by Sierra at one point. But I think when people say "Sierra Games" they mean King's Quest, Space Quest, Larry etc.
Quiest posted on Feb 21 2005 at 12:30 AM said:
And I didn`t know the Goblins series was made on a completely different engine, I didn`t like most of them (Only Gobli(i)ns, Larry5-7 and Woodruff) so I don`t know that much about them)
Yeah. Larry 5 (being SCI) might be playable on GP32 one day. That also goes for 6 to a lesser extent. However when that time comes there may not be many GP32 users left.

Quiest posted on Feb 20 2005 at 05:21 PM said:

You don't need an interpreter for Gobliiins and Gobliins as you can play them on Castaway as they both were released on the Atari ST

Adios,
Matt

The Phantom posted on Feb 21 2005 at 01:02 AM said:
Yeah. Larry 5 (being SCI) might be playable on GP32 one day. That also goes for 6 to a lesser extent. However when that time comes there may not be many GP32 users left.

Well, maybe we are then gp64 users ;)

Esn posted on Feb 21 2005 at 01:43 AM said:
DJWillis was here on this board not that long ago... a few weeks maybe. He said he might have time to work on it again soon...
heh... thats what he always says.

no offence DJWillis.

Quiest posted on Feb 20 2005 at 06:21 PM said:

FreeSCI aside. There are moves afoot to put the Goblins engine into ScummVM as it's source may be made avalable (and a few other top game engines) but thats about all I could say. For what I can tell it's much to big an engine for the little old GP32.

Slightly off topic: If anybody who reads this tpoic has a BLU+ could they drop me a mail sometime, I have an FXE I would like tested. None of my usual testers own one.

Back