Scummvm For The Wiz: Early Alpha.

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
After finally finding a few hours to clean up code I have had laying around on my hard disk for months I have made up a public alpha release of ScummVM for the Wiz.

You can find all the info on my site including download links, setup info and known issues.

This really is an early alpha so don't expect very much at this stage.

That said, for most old games it is already running quite well (comparable to the GP2X anyway).

Man, This is insane!
I have just checked out the info on the remake of The Secret of Monkey Island. And that got me thinking about scummvm for the wiz.
And BLAM! This thread has magically appeared since the last time I checked the forums not long ago.
Thanks for this!

I'm about to test this, but I'd like to thank this thread to alerting me to the new Monkey Island news. I can officially stop following E3 for the rest of my life, I finally got the news I wanted from it.

Well, I just got done testing it a little, MI2 and Loom ran just fine (at least for the first few minutes of both), but SoMI crashes the program. I'm not sure what the native resolutions of any of these games are so I don't know if that's what's causing the crash with SoMI or if it's something else. Hitting L+R for the 0's for the MI2 copy protection, as well as anywhere else, doesn't stop for me--as in, it just keeps putting 0's until I hit some more buttons to interrupt it. However, that's far from a problem in an alpha, so I'm not too concerned with it, but it can always be thrown into the bugs list somewhere if it's happening to other people too.

I see on the site that other testers have had problems saving, and I'm in the same boat. Does saving work for anyone here, or is it a problem everyone is having? I either just get failure to save messages, invalid save files or the program will flat-out crash while trying.

With that being said, this is amazing for an alpha release, and it's already exceeded my expectations for something so early. Thank you so much!

Sound is a bit to low.
I'll try and get the volume control hooked up for the next release (for now the vol up/down still call into GP2X code that does not really do a lot on the Wiz ;))

, but SoMI crashes the program. I'm not sure what the native resolutions of any of these games are so I don't know if that's what's causing the crash with SoMI or if it's something else.
SoMI should run just fine but i'll confess I have not tested it. I'll dig it out and give it a go. Was there anything in your scummvm.stderr.txt file in the scummvm folder that looks relevant? I assume the data files are good (tested on a PC/GP2X ScummVM etc. etc.).

Hitting L+R for the 0's for the MI2 copy protection, as well as anywhere else, doesn't stop for me--as in, it just keeps putting 0's until I hit some more buttons to interrupt it. However, that's far from a problem in an alpha, so I'm not too concerned with it, but it can always be thrown into the bugs list somewhere if it's happening to other people too.
Ooops, may bad. I'll fix that, just a simple typo that is stopping it clearing the event for the right trigger when the modifier is active. Looks like that also happens on the GP2X but I had not noticed it so i'll also fix it there.

I see on the site that other testers have had problems saving, and I'm in the same boat. Does saving work for anyone here, or is it a problem everyone is having? I either just get failure to save messages, invalid save files or the program will flat-out crash while trying.
I think it is best to consider saves broken in this release. I'll review the code and try and get it all sorted for the next release but that will be a few days away as time is tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
SoMI should run just fine but i'll confess I have not tested it. I'll dig it out and give it a go. Was there anything in your scummvm.stderr.txt file in the scummvm folder that looks relevant? I assume the data files are good (tested on a PC/GP2X ScummVM etc. etc.).

I opened scummvm.stderr.txt and it was completely empty, so no help there. Also, I need to correct myself, it doesn't immediately crash--it shows the Lucasfilm Games logo for about half a second and then crashes. It runs just fine on my computer so the data files shouldn't be the problem, although I hadn't thought to check that until just now.

Also to whoever said the sound was too low, have you tried altering the volume through the Scummvm settings? I didn't think it was too low at all.

I opened scummvm.stderr.txt and it was completely empty, so no help there. Also, I need to correct myself, it doesn't immediately crash--it shows the Lucasfilm Games logo for about half a second and then crashes. It runs just fine on my computer so the data files shouldn't be the problem, although I hadn't thought to check that until just now.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll take a look tonight. What format was the audio?

Also to whoever said the sound was too low, have you tried altering the volume through the Scummvm settings? I didn't think it was too low at all.
I have just added support for volume control on the Wiz and think I may have tracked down the save issues, that said, I won't be able to test till this evening (so coding blind).

If it all works I'll do a new release.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll take a look tonight. What format was the audio?
Ah, I never even thought to look at that. It's ogg, which you say on your site you've already heard there were problems with. I guarantee this is the problem, since it has time to show the logo right before the sound would have started.

Ah, I never even thought to look at that. It's ogg, which you say on your site you've already heard there were problems with. I guarantee this is the problem, since it has time to show the logo right before the sound would have started.
I link to the Tremor lib in the firmware dynamically. I guess that is borked somehow, I guess I am either going to have to consider static linking the whole thing or shipping libs as odd bugs are coming up all over the place with the hackjob set of libs GPH shipped in the firmware ;).

Mind you, I guess I should know better then to assume GPH did something 'ok' until proven otherwise :D.

Works astoundingly well for an early alpha. I've been able to run

Zak Mckraken and the Alien Mindbenders
Day of the Tentacle
Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

without any problems in speed or sound but Secret of Monkey Island did crash on my once.

Regards

André

Yeah, I've tried Beneath a Steel Sky, Day of the Tentacle, Inherit the Earth and Maniac Mansion and all worked just beautifully (granted I didn't play any for more than a few moments but even still I had no issues). Let's just say that as soon as this program can save properly, I will officially stop having a life.

Hi, Full Throttle seems to run perfectly as well (except saving of course)
Thanks a lot!!!

Damned, i need to get me a bigger SDHC!
All those emu's en open source projects, like scummvm/dosbox/openjazz/picodrive etc... eat much space on my current 2Gb SDHC

Nice!!! Good to know that, haven't tried it yet :D. ScummVM runs quite well but it crashes a bit for me playing Monkey Island 1. I can play that game for about 10 minutes and then Scumm VM exits out into Wiz menu. Same thing with DOTT.
I am trying to track down these odd crashes as they are what is holding up a new alpha and saves are still flaky (Grrrr!) but controls, volume and a few screen issues are fixed and all in all it is looking a fair bit more robust.

I also started pushing all the re-factoring I have done for the Wiz backend back over to the GP2X backend so I hope to have a handful of fixes for long standing issues and some speedups on that platform as soon as I can buy a GP2X serial lead or BoB to help debugging (mine broke). Anybody selling one?

Back