SD won't auto-mount.

directive0

Very Active Member
Hey all. Noob question for ya;

When my pandora starts up or when I put in the SD card it no longer auto mounts my sd card. It shows it greyed out in thunar (it will mount it if I then click on the greyed out name), and when I look in the /media/ folder I see that it has started making new folders for my SD card everytime.

So if I mounted a disk called "Pandora SW" then eject it and reinsert it it makes a new folder called "Pandora SW_", then if I repeat that step it makes a NEW folder called "Pandora SW__". It keeps adding a _ to the end. When I have no SD cards inserted these folders persist even after restart.

Would love to know why. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds...broken. What happens if you unmount the card before ejecting it?

FWIW, automounting is still something of a black art for me, so when my arch install didn't come with it, I never bothered finding out how to do it - but it should work out of the box on SuperZaxxon on Pandora.

You mean it makes the folder with the extra underscore, even if you unmount the card before removing and re-inserting it? Does the old directory remain?

Yeah. I get an error about permissions.

Failed to unmount "X"
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.unmount-others no <-- (privilege, result).

What about from the terminal, doing an 'sudo umount /media/diskname'?

If the old directory remains after unmount, it does suggest the broken unmount is forcing the remount to come up with a new folder name to me though.

That would seem to be correct. Sudo umount will remove the folder and unmount the drive without error.

So the question remains; how can I remove the folders that are there without breaking anything (dumb question, but I'm pretty nooby) and restore permissions to whatever function is unmounting these cards?

So my assumption was wrong then; if 'sudo umount' works in deleting the automounted folder, the automounter seems to be basically working, just unmounting from thunar is to some extent not working.

It does look like a permissions error in that case; possibly your normal user isn't in the right groups needed, or possibly hasn't been given the right settings in /etc/sudoers. I don't have my Pandora fully working yet though, so I can't try it and see how it's configured right now I'm afraid.

Ah well. Guess the best option is just to reflash. I've done that a couple times already and I'm worried about the NAND.

I have so many Pandoras and i never had Problems with the Nand.

I am Compiling little Things on it with Codeblocks or Cdevtools.

When there are Problems then a Reflash helped ever here ;)

Reflashed and the problem is gone.

Thanks for the advice all. Wish I knew what caused it so I can avoid it next time. Maybe the SD was removed when it was asleep? Would that have cause it?

This is annoying; I can't unmount drives from the file manager. Gives the same error. What the heck is going on?

I don't want to run into the same problem again so I'm not just removing the SD cards whenever I feel like it. Is this going to make much of a difference?

I do seem to get a "cannot remove directory error message",  but it does seem to unmount the SD card properly outside of removing the /media/SDCARDNAME directory. 

Usually I just rip out the SD cards when I feel like it and don't deal with proper "unmounting" processes... I'm a badass like that.

Back