Sdl 1.3 With Opengl-Es

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I drew my first triangle using SDL 1.3 + GLU through the nehe tutorials. :)
I plan to start working on the other lesson's then make a video, but i wanted to give every one a heads up where its at :)

Thanks to cpasjuste doing all the grunt work.

Update: All of them work :) I just need to add some controls.

Binaries: pickle.gp2x.de/nehe3d.zip

fettouhi said:
Can this be used to improved games like Quake 2?

Not really, quake2 can be accelerated byt using nanoGL, although there are problems with memory. This in general doesnt make opengles any faster, just cleaner to use.

What this does is give a nice interface to getting everything setup much easier. SDL also give a common interface, so now if you used it run program could run on pandora or wiz with minimal changes (maybe none at all)
Nehe tutorials are really going to help show everyone how to use SDL with opengles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how Pickle's triangles would help speed things up :p But in actuality if someone can get Quake II to use Hardware rather than software rendering it would speed it up considerably, not sure if it's using any hardware accelleration already though and if the engine needs much modification to use such (or whether it will use whatever is available).

Enverex said:
I'm not sure how Pickle's triangles would help speed things up :p But in actuality if someone can get Quake II to use Hardware rather than software rendering it would speed it up considerably, not sure if it's using any hardware accelleration already though and if the engine needs much modification to use such (or whether it will use whatever is available).

At one point I did have quake 2 running on nanogl, i should have a video of it on youtube.

The SDL stuff should also help with 2d games/apps if they are converted right. I see this as what the hw blitter was for gp2x, and maybe even better.

Update: see the first post for link to binaries, if someone is running latest fw i like to know if the complete screen is rendered to and when you quit what happens.

Jan-Nik said:
How did you manage to link against libopengles_lite.so?

I tried to fine the link, but someone modified the library to remove VFP from the header, after that I could link directly.

Pickle said:
Update: see the first post for link to binaries, if someone is running latest fw i like to know if the complete screen is rendered to and when you quit what happens.

FW 1.1.0 (using the included libopengles) Black screen or crash to menu:
Code:
WIZ controls opened!
SDL13: Wiz framebuffer allocated
./lesson20: symbol lookup error: /lib/libopengles_lite.so: undefined symbol: _Z27GLESOAL_GetDisplayDirectionv
view created...
GP2X wiz Mode...
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen
Check joystick...MES_MLC_SetLayerPriority.829: MES_ASSERT error

I changed to the "older" (yeah, I know what you think ;) ) libopengles from the archive and now it works. But the same problem as the glquake alpha: Black border on the right...

Pickle said:
Jan-Nik said:
How did you manage to link against libopengles_lite.so?

I tried to fine the link, but someone modified the library to remove VFP from the header, after that I could link directly.
Do you mean this one? http://watteimdocht.de/jan-nik/libopengles_lite.so

I've tried the nehe examples, but first it complains about a missing version in libgcc.so.1. After copying your version to /lib/libgcc.so.1 it works.
One problem though: Only about 70 % from the left side of the screen is visible. And after exiting an example i can only see about 30 % from the right side. (hard to explain)
Maybe it's because I'm still using firmware 1.0.0?

edit: Okay I've just read that this is a known problem ...

boarder.jpg

And after exiting an example i can only see about 30 % from the right side. (hard to explain)
Maybe it's because I'm still using firmware 1.0.0?
Yes, I think this is a problem with 1.0.0.

[Edit:] No, seem to be present with 1.1.0, too:

exit.jpg

Yep the border thing happens to me too, I think its cause the screen isnt being rotated.
The other problem is that it seems the driver doesnt unload or reset properly so the second opengles app locks up, at least me

None of them works on my device. Some freezes on loading screen, some drops back to menu. Should I do something before starting them?

Yeah, download this file from the archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,54

Execute the "install.gpu" file with the launcher, wait until the menu is shown again. Then you can use the demos.

Jan-Nik said:
I've tried the nehe examples, but first it complains about a missing version in libgcc.so.1. After copying your version to /lib/libgcc.so.1 it works.
This should have been included with everything, it should have worked with in the nehe folder, you shouldnt have had to copy it to /lib

Pickle said:
Jan-Nik said:
This should have been included with everything, it should have worked with in the nehe folder, you shouldnt have had to copy it to /lib
I know, still I couldn't get it to work. (Tried GPH's Launcher and via terminal)

Enverex said:

That could be cool because at the moment Quake II is only borderline playable IMHO.

Regards

André

Ok the devel package is up, I spent almost all afternoon making sure everything could build and install properly. Please see the readme.
Ive cleaned up the headers so you used nanoGL/wizGLES before some things have changed. Only thing in include/GL is egl.h and gl.h.
Please provide feedback on it.

Get it here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,188

Pickle said:
Ok the devel package is up, I spent almost all afternoon making sure everything could build and install properly. Please see the readme.
Ive cleaned up the headers so you used nanoGL/wizGLES before some things have changed. Only thing in include/GL is egl.h and gl.h.
Please provide feedback on it.

Get it here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,188

Thanks for doing this Pickle! I'd become so frustrated at trying to get an OpenGL project to compile properly that I'd given up. I'm downloading this now, it should really simplify things for everyone.

satacoy said:
Thanks for doing this Pickle! I'd become so frustrated at trying to get an OpenGL project to compile properly that I'd given up. I'm downloading this now, it should really simplify things for everyone.
Thanks, i hope it helps you.

There's a minor fix I made after releasing.
In GL/egl.h remove the line where typedef EGLInt GLInt (You will only have an error if gl.h and egl.h are defined in the same scope)
and include GL/gl.h in the pandora SDL driver c file. (this isnt a big deal to change you only need to do it if your going to make the change above and recompile SDL)

Back