SDXC Compatibility?

alucart1984

How is the Pandora compatible with SDXC?  Also is there anyone here that uses them in their Pandora?

Thanks everyone for your help.  I think I might be picking up a 64GB version to go with my 32GB.....for when I get my Pandora ;)

I use a 128gb SanDisk extreme in one of my two slots.
So you got it and tested it? I remember the thread you made and you had trouble.

The trouble was actually Windows fault, not the card. It wouldn't allow me to format it, I just did it straight from my Pandora instead and it worked fine.

use paroit lx series class10 U1 sdxc 64gb and a gskill class 10 U1 sdxc 64gb haven't had any problems. have them set to ntsf. been using them for about 10 months one for music/vids and other is for games. too bad the faster cards/readers weren't out and about when the best little box in the world was made, can't wait for pandora2

There are 2 standards that were introduced with SDXC: SD 3.0 and SD 4.0. SD 3.0 is electronically absolutely compatible to SDHC readers, however SD 4.0 (SDXC II / UHS-II) introduces some new interface that might break this compatibility - I have yet to see any on the market, though, you can easily recognize them by having a 2nd row of contacts.

The important thing is the filesystem: Microsoft officially highly discourages the usage of FAT32 on partitions larger than 32GB, it is even impossible to create such a partition with Windows' own tools. Thanks to MS massive influence they are now officially using exFAT for those larger cards, which is some proprietary crap without any public specifications, meaning we have no proper drivers.

So you need to format it with something else - FAT32 using another program to format, NTFS or ext2/3/4 - the latter can be problematic with cheap cards because some cards' FTL chips are heavily optimized for FAT based systems and will go rampage when used with something completely different, see the SD card compatibility list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information kirkanos and Letalis Sonus.  I am getting my Pandora sometime next week and around the 22nd will probably be buying a 64GB SDXC Card.  I was thinking of going with G-Skill from Newegg.com.  That is the same brand of DDR3 1866Mhz Memory I am using in my computer and I always use G-Skill RAM with each build.  Plus the Pandora I won off ebay is coming with a 32GB G-Skill Card.

bought my gskills from newegg also well all my cards+pc parts are from newegg great place to get but from, gratz on your pandora buy hope it gets there soon

bought my gskills from newegg also well all my cards+pc parts are from newegg great place to get but from, gratz on your pandora buy hope it gets there soon
Thanks!  I can't wait.  I have been following the Pandora since its birth but I just couldn't bring myself to pay for one when they weren't finished. Now I am going to finally have one!

Back