Release Second Life

geocontrol

Still Fresh
Ok, so is this handheld going to be able to run a Second Life client? Maybe not a straight re-compile, maybe it would need some work but feasible?

Thanks

mark.

I think some parts of the Second Life client are supposed to be open source, but it would still be pointless because the client is awful and needs a complete rewrite to be usable. In my experience it is too laggy and slow and crashes within a few minutes. (Not everyone can afford the 50 GB/s internet speed required to play it smoothly.)

Thanks the_darkside_986, yep that may be more of the case as to why it would not be feasible to port it to this device.

What about something like Vollee? Being presented moreso for cell phone handsets...

http://www.vollee.com/

"Download Vollee mobile access to World of Second Life
Welcome to the Vollee beta. You can now access Second Life whenever & wherever you want to.

Works on over 70 handsets already (more being added), with a data plan
Works on 3G or WiFi enabled handsets
Fly or Teleport yourself anywhere in the world
See when your friends are online and Chat or IM
Completely free"

Without source code it cannot be ported.

In fact, the whole virtual world MMO client and server needs to be re-written from scratch by developers who know what they are doing. Second life is an unstable, poorly optimized mess. On the client side, they sometimes resort to using a proprietary jpeg library because they can't even figure out basic OpenGL code optimizing.

I would buy a new life on ebay instead of creating my *Second Life* account

Getting a working 3D client is probably out of the question, but with the open source available, writing a Pandora to inworld chat client should be doable.

As a side note, I paid for my Pandora preorder by cashing in Lindens that I made selling stuff that I made in SecondLife :wink:

how does it work anyway ? are you supposed to pay actual money to play the game ? explain plz.

oh yeah, hi :)

while i dont play i have developed a few things at req for SL .. my understanding is withing SL you can barter and trade either in game goods and services as well as code /models to an extent .. and of course realestate , this is payd for with something called the lindon dollor witch has its own exchange rate .. and can either be earned in game by the above methods or purchased outside of game with real money ... and lindon labs allows you to trade in lindon dollors back for real money ... theres a few people ive heard of who actualy make thier living in second life now .. weather its code , art resorces or services ..

Lord_Doku said:
how does it work anyway ? are you supposed to pay actual money to play the game ? explain plz.

SL is free to play. You only have to pay if you own land or want to buy "Linden" currency. The exchange fluctuates around $260L/$1US. You can run around and play and explore all you want for free. Then, if you want, you can try to make money in various ways. You can basically sell services or items that you have acquired or created. I chose to apply my programming skills to create scripted objects that I sold at a couple of friends shops in world and made a decent amount of Lindens doing so even though I never invested a real dime. The real trick is to create that next widget that everyone wants and sell it big until someone comes along with the next big thing just like in RL.

So, I decided to cash in some of my earnings and buy myself a Pandora :)

grin so your the one who made that talking big floppy rubber fist with the my happy face on it 8)~
J/K

honestly yould be amazed at what ive been asked " would it be posible to... ?" i gota admit modeling for SL is pretty easy thou and the scripting is pretty robust..

BUT as in RL SL has alot of things that make you shake your head n go "wow .. JUST woW..." as you back away slowly :>

of course if the "orgasmatron" ever became a real usb device .. then it be like that scene from demolition man ... "what do you mean "all media is Second life now they won the (insert lewd adjective here) wars " ...

Hence why i dont get involved lol

There is no doubt that you can find _ANYTHING_ that you are looking for in SL (and even some things that you didn't want to know existed), but I assure you that most of the stuff that I made was PG (except maybe for some certain small pieces of jewelry). Making particle emitting blingy things that parted people from their Lindens is where it started, but got into some more advanced things as well. It's funny, you make a gold colored circle and put some sparkly white polygons on it and call it a "Diamond Ring" and suddenly people want to give you Lindens for it ;-)

Back