Select Ctrl Button Doesn't Respond

b._.o._.b

Hi,

My Pandoras Select CTRL button doesn't respond. I have used op_test_inputs to verify. Can I conclude that my Pandora has a hardware failure?

b_o_b

Well, nobody replied. Is it a stupid question...?

Nevermind, I have done some searching to reassign a key and adjusted the .pndXmodmap file. The select/ctrl key corresponds with the left control key "keycode 36 = Control_L NoSymbol Control_L".
I sacrificed F8 "keycode 74 = F8 NoSymbol F8" and changed it to "keycode 74 = Control_L NoSymbol Control_L".
After restart I tried some emulators that could be using this key (Picodrive, UAE4All) unfortunately no response.
Then I tried the F8 key in Minimenu and indeed something happened, a menu appeared.

So I guess I have reassigned the key but it only works in minimenu (bummer...)

Is there a more low level approach I could try, any other (hardware or software) suggestions?

Haven't seen this thread before.
Could be your keymat is missing the carbon pad on the CTRL-Key. Sounds like it.

There are different solutions:

a) Get a new pad and exchange it yourself
B) Send in your Pandora for repairs
c) Try to fix it yourself. If only the carbon pad is missing, you could get some silver pen (if it is conductive) and paint where the carbon pad should be on the CTRL key. A tiny drop of crazy glue combined with some aluminium foil (needs to be very thin) might also work - but you need to make sure it doesn't come off easily.

EvilDragon said:
Haven't seen this thread before.
Could be your keymat is missing the carbon pad on the CTRL-Key. Sounds like it.

There are different solutions:

a) Get a new pad and exchange it yourself
B) Send in your Pandora for repairs
c) Try to fix it yourself. If only the carbon pad is missing, you could get some silver pen (if it is conductive) and paint where the carbon pad should be on the CTRL key. A tiny drop of crazy glue combined with some aluminium foil (needs to be very thin) might also work - but you need to make sure it doesn't come off easily.

Thanks Ed. Don't like the B option and I guess by giving me these options you are saying it is okay for me to open and try it myself without voiding my warranty. I think I will start with C and let you know if I could fix it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
b_o_b said:
Thanks Ed. Don't like the B option and I guess by giving me these options you are saying it is okay for me to open and try it myself without voiding my warranty. I think I will start with C and let you know if I could fix it myself.

Well, technically, you will void your warranty. So be careful. If you're careful and nothing breaks, you won't have any problems.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Well, technically, you will void your warranty. So be careful. If you're careful and nothing breaks, you won't have any problems.

Didn't break anything, but it didn't help either. I tried some aluminum foil below the key but still no response with op_test_inputs. To be sure the foil was conductive (it has a shiny and non shiny side) I tried the foil on another key and it worked on that.

So this appears to be a failed board and there is no way I can repair that myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back