Sennheisers

Prometheus

Just felt like rambling a bit, so here we go. :p

When I ordered my Pandora, way back in the mists of time on September 30th 2008, I also then went and ordered a pair of Sennheiser PX200s. I used them until they fell to bits and I couldn't Sugru them back together anymore!

I then replaced them with a pair of PX200-II's (which also fixed the design issue that caused the original PX200s to eventually fall apart, by replacing the offending part of the plastic housing of the cans with metal, instead, and overall being much more sturdy). I recall BaDToaD mentioning that these had even better sound-quality than the original versions, but until today I didn't realise just HOW much better they really are.

For the first time since my PX200s snuffed it, I listened to the self-titled first album by The Protomen* (check them out - you can get a few of their tracks from both of their albums so far for free by signing up to their mailing list, via a form on the front page of their website, though you can also listen there without any downloading or signing up required), and, wow, does it ever sound amazing on the PX200-II's! I've listened to it hundreds of times, and yet I could hear parts of the music that I never noticed on the original PX200s, today.

*(And in so doing, I felt the inspiration to continue with my Mega Man novel, so that is now back on track again.
grin.gif
Capcom will never kill the spirit of Mega Man as long as us fans are around!)

Has anyone else ever come across this when moving to a better model of headphones?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the PX200s fondly... actually, it might have been PX100 back then, I cannae quite remember. They did ultimately try very hard to fall apart, though.

I now use Roland RH300 cans, and wont touch anything else, 'cos I've become too acclimatised to them.

But, yes, if you move from tat headphones to decent ones, the difference is profound. I remember the first time I spent more than a couple of pounds on earphones.

Yet, there are still loads of people out there who use the stock Apple earbuds... *shudder*

But, yes, if you move from tat headphones to decent ones, the difference is profound. I remember the first time I spent more than a couple of pounds on earphones.
Yeah. I just never expected a similarly profound difference when moving from good ones to revised good ones. :lol:

Yet, there are still loads of people out there who use the stock Apple earbuds... *shudder*
I think what gets me about those is their astonishingly high price, in relation to their poor sound-quality (I tried them once upon a time, back before I gave up on trying to get on with earbuds - earbuds of all types are just too painful for my ears :p ). I just had a look, and the current revision of those things is sold for £26 - that's only £5 less than a pair of Sennheiser CX300-II noise-isolating earbuds...

I've got a selection of 'phones, many having undergone extensive structural repairs owing to my habit of wearing them in bed and waking up with them crumpled under my face.

The one pair I don't wear in bed is my Sennheiser 650s, I want them to last. Bought them to fill the void left by the terminal demise of my 535s (sleep related). Love them, exceeded expectations by some margin. Stereo positioning is incredible - it's not just the quallity of the sound, but the impression of a 'soundstage' that they deliver, you can really sense minute degrees of left-to-right positioning of everything.

Ooh, a thread with Audiophiles in it, this gives me a good opportunity to ask people in the know a few questions.

I've mainly used nothing but cheap ear bud headphones for most of my life, but I've recently started playing bass guitar and would like to have some headphones which won't explode on me when I plug them into my bass amp. (I have an adapter that allows me to plug in headphones to the amp...)

So, what brand/type of headphones would you guys suggest?

Ooh, a thread with Audiophiles in it, this gives me a good opportunity to ask people in the know a few questions.

I've mainly used nothing but cheap ear bud headphones for most of my life, but I've recently started playing bass guitar and would like to have some headphones which won't explode on me when I plug them into my bass amp. (I have an adapter that allows me to plug in headphones to the amp...)

Any respectable brand should do you fine, unless you have the volume or bass up to levels that are not good for your hearing anyway.

As for Prometheus' question, Sennheiser earphones were my introduction into quality listening. I've currently got a set of Alessandro MS-1s plugged into my computer, but my best experience was the first time I used some Sennheiser 215 Mk I headphones. The soundspace was competely awe-inspiring to me at the time.

Not talking Sennheiser here, so sorry to derail the topic.

I've been happy with my Westone UM3X-RC for travelling and my Grado cans for home.

Not sure if I would spend the money on the Westone 4 series as they are chinese and can't understand how they justify outsourcing them, and they do with their lower end products as well.

As far as Grado cans, they are all US made and I've been a fan for years, the Pandora has made them sound amazing. While their earbuds are coming from Japan, and the earbuds lack a carrying case, which I think is a bit weak sauce, I am considering a pair in the future, but only have two ears, so maybe when I wear out my Westones, or I have to send them to China to be repaired.

Sennheiser HD280 & Sennheiser 598...I call them my Pride and Joy

its always nice to hear new instruments on songs you've heard multiple times before. Before these, I used a pair oh Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset...those fell apart and are collecting dust

I've recently started playing bass guitar and would like to have some headphones which won't explode on me when I plug them into my bass amp. (I have an adapter that allows me to plug in headphones to the amp...)

I'm assuming the amp and adapter drive headphones at an appropriate level, for your phones and eardrums sake!

A friend of mine used to save his hearing during practice sessions by using a basic set of Sony headphones at a modest level, coupled with one of those gaming vests that act as a subwoofer so he could feel the bass. The illusion was of a much higher volume level, though he did look like a cut price Iron Man.

Don't touch and consumer or prosumer headphones with a ten foot barge pole. Get yourself a rugged set of studio 'phones from a music shop. Go for open back if you can get away with some noise leakage, as the extra air those will push around will make a difference to bass.

Studio headphones tend to be a little on the ugly side, but they more than make up for it in sound quality/accuracy and ruggedness. I've abused my Roland RH300s for many years, and all the faux leather is cracking, peeling and failing off. The fabric headband is almost totally destroyed. But the headphones themselves are still structurally intact, and sound brilliant despite such heavy use.

Note: due to having some difficulty hearing, when I played bass I'd plug my RH300s in so I could actually hear what I was playing.

Be prepared to pay £100+

You don't need to spend a fortune. Grab a pair of Superlux HD681s. Semi open design based on AKGs (240s I seem to remember) Great bass response and decent mids and highs although the highs can be a little bright. But for bass these are great for the cash.

They leak sound as they are semi open but not to the extent of the grados or Allesandro MS1s mentioned here. And they are a LOT cheaper.

Massive review thread here

You don't need to spend a fortune. Grab a pair of Superlux HD681s. Semi open design based on AKGs (240s I seem to remember) Great bass response and decent mids and highs although the highs can be a little bright. But for bass these are great for the cash.

They leak sound as they are semi open but not to the extent of the grados or Allesandro MS1s mentioned here. And they are a LOT cheaper.

Massive review thread here

Sweet! Thanks for the informative thread, now I just have one more question and I'm hoping that you could answer it. My problem is that I have a huge head; I mean huge (add on the fact that I have shoulder length hair also...) they would need to make a size 9 hat to fit me. Anywho, what I'm asking is how tight of a fit are these? My only other purchase was a fairly expensive Skullcandy brand headphone... and dear god not only were they horrible tight, but they also died within 4 months! I'm hoping that you own a pair, or that someone knows of how tight of a fit they are.

Grado's FTW, if you dont mind open headphones. (and with open I mean OPEN, like same volume inside and outside :D )
My girlfriend hates when I enter Grado land... She hears what I'm playing while in the next room. Pretty funny, but worth every penny, whether its SR-60i or whatever more you want to spend.

I replaced my dead PX200's with the PX200-II. I didn't really notice any sound difference at first, possibly because there was a several month gap from when the PX200 died to when I got a replacement. I think I've noticed it a bit now, but I don't trust my memory completely.

I did notice that they aren't quite as comfortable though. Very close, but the padding isn't as soft and they are a little bit larger.

For home use I have an Audio Technica A900.

^ Funnily enough, I find the PX200-II's to be more comfortable. The one thing I never liked about the original version was the padding being, by my standards, too soft. :lol:

Sweet! Thanks for the informative thread, now I just have one more question and I'm hoping that you could answer it. My problem is that I have a huge head; I mean huge (add on the fact that I have shoulder length hair also...) they would need to make a size 9 hat to fit me. Anywho, what I'm asking is how tight of a fit are these? My only other purchase was a fairly expensive Skullcandy brand headphone... and dear god not only were they horrible tight, but they also died within 4 months! I'm hoping that you own a pair, or that someone knows of how tight of a fit they are.

If I get a chance I'll try them at work tomorrow. I don't remember them being overly tight tbh but I haven't listened to them for a couple of months.

I've just tried my HD681s. They are self adjusting for size and are on the light side of medium for clamping force. i.e.very comfortable in the clamping department. They can get a bit warm on the ears but you can fit some velour akg pads if that's a problem. It does add a good amount to the price if you do that though ;)

Overall they are great for the cash. I haven't heard of anyone that wasn't impressed with them for the money.

ToaD

PS I just remembered I modded my pair with some foam disks under the ear cups to tame the highs a little. A simple and easy modification that costs peanuts :)

I ordered a set of 3 yesterday, and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm so exctied!

Back