Setting Up The Pandora As An Always On Server.

Raydox

Still Fresh
Hi, first post so I figured I'd say I'm totally psyched about the Pandora, can't wait to get one.

Anyway, I was wondering how the battery/power cable would work, if I wanted to have the Pandora on 24/7. I was hoping to set up the Pandora as a mini home NAS, bittorent server, or maybe even a media center server, whenever I'm not using it for something else. I keep seeing posts about the battery life being about 10 hours depending on use, but what if the unit is plugged in? Does it charge and then stop receiving power from the power cable like a standard battery charger, or does it work more like a laptop and keep drawing power even after the battery is fully charged? Sorry if this question has been asked before, was unable to find anything on it.

Raydox said:
Hi, first post so I figured I'd say I'm totally psyched about the Pandora, can't wait to get one.

Anyway, I was wondering how the battery/power cable would work, if I wanted to have the Pandora on 24/7. I was hoping to set up the Pandora as a mini home NAS, bittorent server, or maybe even a media center server, whenever I'm not using it for something else. I keep seeing posts about the battery life being about 10 hours depending on use, but what if the unit is plugged in? Does it charge and then stop receiving power from the power cable like a standard battery charger, or does it work more like a laptop and keep drawing power even after the battery is fully charged? Sorry if this question has been asked before, was unable to find anything on it.
Really Pandora is not designed for this use and it really would be waste.
There are so many better options, and cheaper for that matter. Get a beagleboard, or a low cost atom/celeron/sempron.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used my iPAQ (500MHz XScale CPU) for similar endeavors (file server) in the past. It works, and really well more often than not, but that doesn't negate the fact that there are better alternatives ; ).

Yes, I realize this isn't what the unit is for, an it would be a huge waste to use it exclusively like this. But I wasn't really planning on using it exclusively as a server. I figured I'd carry it around during the day, and use it for gaming, or as a mobile web browser, or as a PDA, or as a media player. Then when I get back home, I can just plug it in, and access files on it from my computer or leave it on overnight with bittorent running. Seeing as how it is wireless, it would be very easy and streamlined to just plug it in to a power outlet and load up the desired application. It's just another way of adding more value to an already very versatile device.

I don't think it'll work without a battery (Michael please correct me if I'm wrong), but will not use the battery if it's plugged into the mains (but will charge it of course).

sam fisher said:
Surely you could buy a cheap second hand GP2x and run it as an always on server. Software allowing of course?
1. When'd you get back? :)

2. Ethernet isn't really possible with that. Also, he'd have to port over his own software to do this. In addition, there are much better uses for the now-limited GP2X. :D

Squidge said:
I don't think it'll work without a battery (Michael please correct me if I'm wrong), but will not use the battery if it's plugged into the mains (but will charge it of course).
That's exactly what I was wondering, if it would draw power from the power cable instead of the battery when plugged in, so if I decide to leave it on for a day, my battery won't be dead when I take it with me the next day. Thanks.

I'd say it's better to ger for example some Intel mini-ITX boards or Via ones. It's fully featured for that kind of usage. There's ethernet, VGA, USB, RS232, Sound, e.t.c. I really miss the point of that. Or really you may get Beagleboard.

atomicthumbs said:
sam fisher said:
Surely you could buy a cheap second hand GP2x and run it as an always on server. Software allowing of course?

2. Ethernet isn't really possible with that. Also, he'd have to port over his own software to do this. In addition, there are much better uses for the now-limited GP2X. :D

1. A few days ago

2. But surely he can just do it over USB?

Hotcooler said:
I'd say it's better to ger for example some Intel mini-ITX boards or Via ones. It's fully featured for that kind of usage. There's ethernet, VGA, USB, RS232, Sound, e.t.c. I really miss the point of that. Or really you may get Beagleboard.
He already said he wasn't going to use it only as a server... I think it would work very well.

Core2 processor ITX board for ~$70

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...&category0=

I understand the question, but you have to ask yourself if you really want to use the device in that fashion.

I would wait for confirmation that the circuits are designed for this from MWeston, he has discussed it before, look through his past posts for it: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...er&mid=9395

If the BeagleBoard can be set up to use the Pandora firmware, then Craig should sell a kit with the firmware and a box for the beagleboard, if it was a simple box it could cost much less than the Pandora, maybe $200, and it has DVI output :D

I would probably be quite interested in something like that as a portable media center, gaming on it with USB would be fine. I wish it would happen though.

atomicthumbs said:
sam fisher said:

F-100 sort of does it, you can network via USB and it includes an FTP, Samba, telnet and web servers.

Back