Setting up the pandora to run on a tv screen

sareks

Casual gamer
Hi, I am recently thinking about setting up my pandora to run on a tv screen,

therefore I need two things, a tv-out cable which can be ordered at the dragonbox shop

and a wireless controller - for this one, are there any suggestions ? What experience did you guys have with a wireless controller?

Thanks in advance

I just use one of these on my TV setup:

http://www.staples.com/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-Black/product_354569

Just FYI, I find those TV out cables a tad frail. If you put strain on the cable overtime it can break off were the wires meet the plug end. After breaking my first cable, I setup mine to so the weight of the video cables are not putting any strain on the plug end.

I believe the flaw is in the design of the plug itself, not on the construction of the TV cable, some of my homemade solutions broke the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use one of these on my TV setup:

http://www.staples.com/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-Black/product_354569

Just FYI, I find those TV out cables a tad frail. If you put strain on the cable overtime it can break off were the wires meet the plug end. After breaking my first cable, I setup mine to so the weight of the video cables are not putting any strain on the plug end.

I believe the flaw is in the design of the plug itself, not on the construction of the TV cable, some of my homemade solutions broke the same way.
I have the same wireless keyboard for my Pandy, but I paid like $9.99 brandnew from a yardsale.  :)

I have the same wireless keyboard for my Pandy, but I paid like $9.99 brandnew from a yardsale. 
I paid a bit less than that, it seems they raised the price of them. $25 USD new.

Thanks for the reply,

so you're both playing video games using the wireless keyboard, no joypad?

My recent use of it on my TV is just media playback via Kodi + UMS running on my desktop to transcode H264 videos. However I do have an Adaptoid an old N64 Controller to USB adapter that isn't made anymore. I do have a flight stick and few generic USB gamepads. Almost all work, just need to remember controllers are generally USB1.1 devices and will require a USB 2.0 to work properly with the regular sized USB port.

I almost exclusively use an OUYA controller. The touchpad works great as a mouse, so it is pretty comfortable to navigate Openbox with just the controller.

I also have some scripts that I'm working on that map the OUYA controller to the various pandora buttons when needed(certain games or just for navigation in openbox/minimenu), but then quit Qjoypad for programs that need more performance and already support the controller, such as Mupen. They work well, but I still think I can eventually come up with a more elegant solution using Pandafe.

However I do have an Adaptoid an old N64 Controller to USB adapter that isn't made anymore.
Looks like it must be a terrible product, as it put the company out of business.  I guess I can take it so you don't have to mess with it anymore, and so it doesn't end up in a landfill. ;)    I will even pay the shipping costs to reduce your losses on this. :D

However I do have an Adaptoid an old N64 Controller to USB adapter that isn't made anymore.
Looks like it must be a terrible product, as it put the company out of business.  I guess I can take it so you don't have to mess with it anymore, and so it doesn't end up in a landfill. ;)    I will even pay the shipping costs to reduce your losses on this. :D
Well quick google search there are other solution available: 

http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=82

Well quick google search there are other solution available: 

http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=82
Yeah, you would probably be better off with one of those.

Seriously, though, thanks for mentioning the Adaptoid.  The feature that most appeals to me is being able to use it with memory cards and rumble paks.  Do you have any experience getting this running under OSs other than windows, and maybe recommended emus?  I usually stick to the original hardware since I always had issues with Perfect Dark, the main N64 game I play, with emus.  I have a way to back up and swap my memory card save files now, but it still relies on my N64.  I will read the info on the other adapters again in case I missed the memory card functionality in the list.

Edit: Someone at the first link said there is no memory pak support.  No dual controller Perfect Dark control then I guess, since I am not willing to buy two of the ones in the second link just for single player use.

Shame you can't get the retrode N64 adaptor any more (hopefully ED will produce a few of these now he's producing the Retrode in Europe again):

n64-oldnew.jpg

As far as I know it doesn't support memory cards or rumble, but since all my old game saves are on the cart rather than memory cards that's not an issue for me.

Does the N64 plugin do savegames? At least I don't think mine does. But the 18d firmware claims to support mem paks (I don't have any to test).

Yes, I pulled my savegames off my N64 carts, I think.  The N64 doesn't put savegames on its memory cards - the only use for those I can recall is for saving ghost data in MK64.  I also don't have any of those to test.

Some games do give the option of saving to memory paks.  Some games may not use them at all, but others use them for game and/or player info.  I still have my original one, which is where my Perfect Dark save is, with everything from the cart.  I lost another memory pak that had different stuff on it which is why I started trying to keep everything on both the card and the game, and eventually backed up everything to an SD card.  You would think I would have unlocked everything by now, but some stuff is pretty difficult, and it is rare for me to find other people to play with now.

Nobody mentioned the xbox 360 controller?
I never managed to get it working.

I posted a thread asking about video's setting up joysticks/joypad controllers on the pandora, but there weren't any. I really do hope that it will be simple to set up on the Pyra.

I'm using my ps3 controller with this http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sixad_wrapper

works great!
3 questions:

1: How difficult did you find it to set up?

2: Have you tried setting up 2 player/multiplayer games with a USB hub? Does it work well?

3: Does work well with most emulators?
It worked in one go, I haven't tried pairing a 2nd PS3 controller yet but I guess the Pandora controls or some generic USB controller would be fine for a 2nd player aswell.

So yes, it works with most emulators, I need to edit the controls first though.

Back