Seven New Caanoo Games Uploaded To The Archive

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
As I am now the proud owner of a real working Caanoo, I've ported four of my older games (from GP2X and Wiz) as well as one new one to the Caanoo and uploaded them to the archive.

A couple of these games were available for the Caanoo already (I ported them a while back), but they've been updated and several bugs have been fixed.

The games are -

Guru Logic Champs - http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,25,858

guru.png

Balloonacy - http://dl.openhandhe...i?0,0,0,0,9,859

balloonacy.PNG

Drench - http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,29,860

drench.png

Blitz - http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,30,861

bli2x.PNG

SantaMania - http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,35,862

santamania.PNG

Blitz (or Bli2X) is the only game here that I've never released on any other handheld format. It was basically done in a couple of hours a couple of years ago.

Please take the time to download and leave me feedback, as I took the time to support the Caanoo (Wiz, GP2X and Pandora). Coding and creating freeware games takes many, many hours of my valuable time. Leaving feedback takes just a few seconds of yours. Support the app creators and they will continue to support your devices. Thankyou.

Thanks iprice all very well done games...and funny too.

I have found a little bug (i think) on Guru Champs..if i want to see the instruction the B button don't work , i can only see the first message but pressing B do nothing.

Hope to see more games from you...if i remember you are working on a remake of Impossible mission...i love this game...is abandoned or are still work in progress?

Thanks a lot for developing on GPH and Pandora world.

Farox said:
Thanks iprice all very well done games...and funny too.

I have found a little bug (i think) on Guru Champs..if i want to see the instruction the B button don't work , i can only see the first message but pressing B do nothing.

Hope to see more games from you...if i remember you are working on a remake of Impossible mission...i love this game...is abandoned or are still work in progress?

Thanks a lot for developing on GPH and Pandora world.

Cheers Farox - I'll fix the instructions bug straight away (caused by a couple of key value differences between the Wiz and the Caanoo - i thought I'd caught them all, but obiously not).

As for I.M. I was working on it, but the person doing the graphics got bored half-way through - progress was really good and what we had looked great, but sadly it wasn't to be.

im_05.JPG

im_13.JPG

im_15.JPG

[EDIT]

I've now added B'lox! to the archive - http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,863

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a pity about Impossible Mission. I loved the C64 game and your pix look really nice. Unfortunately, I'm not the guy, who's able to help you with the graphics(or sound or coding).
btw: Which of your games can be played via touchscreen? My analog controls are still broken.

B'lox! and Drench can be played fully with touchscreen only. I can make Blitz touchscreen compatible - that'll be quick and easy. Unfortunately Guru Logic, Ballonacy and SantaMania all require the controller.

[EDIT] I've uploaded a new version of Blitz - includes touchscreen control and now loads/saves your highscore. Need to wait for update to be authorized.

I'll update Guru momentarily...

[EDIT] Guru Logic now updated too (fixing the B button bugette in the instructions). Again, waiting for authorization before file is available on the Archive.

You didn't have to alter Blitz for just one person(me), but thanks anyway. It's not really worth the effort to develop(or even recompile) games for just one person, except yourself. I know, I played drench before my controls broke and it was a lot of fun(I remember a likewise arcade game,but I can't tell the name atm).
I hope, I'll find some time to play your games and give you some response to them. Once again, thanks for the time you spend almost exclusively for me. :D

Adding the touchscreen controls was just a couple of short lines of code. I noticed that the highscore wasn't being saved after I submitted it, so I wanted to fix that too. Gave me added incentive! :)

I don't mind coding whole games or apps for one person - what you requested took less than three minutes in total, so it's no big deal. I code because I enjoy it - whether anyone sees the end result or not. :)

I just hope others enjoy my games, unfortunately that's about all I can do as very few people actually take the time to leave feedback. I'm pretty sure other devs feel the same.

You sir are an artiste! Seriously, I'm jealous of your game design and polishing skills!

Also, any chance for Pandora ports? Ginge doesn't like your games...

Cheers Hooka :)

I will definitely be porting all of these to the Pandora at some point, but I've got several Pandora games on the go already, so it might take a while. These were pretty quick to port as they used the same resolution as Wiz/GP2X versions. Pandora will obviously takes a bit more time as I will need to re-do the graphics for the larger screen.

Great news..for pandora users (me too ;) )
Why not post a message about IM for searching another person who collaborate with the GFX...i really love to run the game almost on Pandora.

I'm waaaaaaay too busy with numerous other projects to work on I.M. at the moment, so I wouldn't get your hopes up, especially since it would require a complete re-write as I now use GLBasic for coding and not BlitzMax.

I hope you don't mind but I edited the title of your topic and also moved it to the News section as I definitely consider this news worthy!

I also tested each game and havn't found any real bugs to speak of. Puzzle Editor in B'lox doesn't display any blocks, is that supposed to work?

I do have one big request though. I'm not the biggest fan of puzzle games but one of my favorites is one of yours. Can you please port Cat Trap to the Caanoo?

Oh, and how about some title bars for these games?

Cheers Orion4874

You shouldn't be able to access the puzzle editor in B'lox! - I'll have to remove that.

I totally forgot about Cat Trap - I'll port it sometime this week, probably not today; I've just got home from work and I'm knackered! All my other stuff has been relatively painless, so I foresee no problems with that one. I'll do Dicey too.

Not sure what you mean by title bars. Are they images that pop up when you highlight the icon in the Caanoo menu? I wondered if there was a way to show the actual icon rather than the awful Caanoo image thing. Is that what you meant? How do you add them - is it icon2.png or something? let me know and I'll see. Create some yourself if you want and I'll include them if I can.

iprice said:
Not sure what you mean by title bars. Are they images that pop up when you highlight the icon in the Caanoo menu? I wondered if there was a way to show the actual icon rather than the awful Caanoo image thing. Is that what you meant? How do you add them - is it icon2.png or something? let me know and I'll see. Create some yourself if you want and I'll include them if I can.
There's even a thread about title bars. see here
If you download a program from the filearchive and have a look at the .ini file, you'll see how to add it. Most progs have a title bar and I know for sure, that Yoshi's emu pack includes some. btw: You can call them whatever you like, as long as it's linked correctly in the ini file.

If you download a program from the filearchive and have a look at the .ini file, you'll see how to add it. Most progs have a title bar and I know for sure, that Yoshi's emu pack includes some. btw: You can call them whatever you like, as long as it's linked correctly in the ini file.

Sorry Akabel, but your tone comes off like I SHOULD know about them. So there's "EVEN" a thread about them...

I've only just got the Caanoo and haven't downloaded ANYTHING other than Animatch (and that was just to ensure the Caanoo worked), so I didn't know about them. There was never any need for me to read up about the Caanoo before.

I've spent more time porting my stuff than looking for pointless bits of info. Maybe I should spend more time reading the forums and less time creating software. Time to read up on the Yinlips, just in case I get one of them in two years time.

Sorry if this all sounds negative, but I'm knackered and don't know everything about everything. And care even less.

Hey iprice, I made a quick title bar of Balloonacy as an example. It's not that great but I found out a while ago that I suck at this. I guess the easiest way would be to use a screenshot of the title screens and edit it that way. They should be sized to 305x57 pixels.

Balloonacy1.png

Now, this image won't really work that well because you need to give some extra room on the left side of the image or it will be cut off in the Caanoo menu. I just can't figure out how to add that in an editing program.

Here's a template from Ajacks set.
caanoobar.png

Here's the psd files for the popular title bars they use over at Open Consoles.
http://www.mediafire.com/?q5a7q72elpex9d7

I don't think Akabei was trying to be pushy, he can be a little overzealous but he always tries to be helpful. Of course you don't have to bother with the title bars at all, it's really just for aesthetics.

iprice said:

Sorry Akabel, but your tone comes off like I SHOULD know about them. So there's "EVEN" a thread about them...

I've only just got the Caanoo and haven't downloaded ANYTHING other than Animatch (and that was just to ensure the Caanoo worked), so I didn't know about them. There was never any need for me to read up about the Caanoo before.

I've spent more time porting my stuff than looking for pointless bits of info. Maybe I should spend more time reading the forums and less time creating software. Time to read up on the Yinlips, just in case I get one of them in two years time.

Sorry if this all sounds negative, but I'm knackered and don't know everything about everything. And care even less.
Sorry, my post was not intended to be harsh in any way. If my english leads to complications, please forgive me, as it's not my first language.

Back