Release Shadow Warrior

mcobit

Advanced Member
Hi there, as some people asked for it, here is JFShadowWarrior.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=shadowwarrior

Your original datafiles (sw.grp) go into the appdata/shadowwarrior directory.

Here are some known issues:

- The nub in joystickmode is recognized but doesn't work. I think there is no support in jfsw yet. You can use the dpad for walking/strafing and the right nub for mouselook.

- Because of the different screen aspect ratio, the sprite for the sword is drawn in the middle and looks like it is cut off, where you would never see the border of the sprite on a 4:3 screen.

- videos seem to have inverted colors.

Other than that it is very playable.

If anybody wants to improve this, feel free to do so.

I think I won't have the time for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mcobit for the port !! But I can't get it to work.. I put the sw.grp in the directory, but it doesn't launch the game..

cowabunga!

This almost completes my list of favourite FPS on the Pandora. Only RTCW is missing :p ;)

It's a shame you're not going to improve it though. Looks like the original author isn't going to do anything either (last news on JonoF's webpage is from 2005). I always thought SW is the same engine as Duke Nukem 3D, and I was hoping somebody could just slightly modify (expand) eduke and that's it. But obviously it's not that easy (otherwise it would have been done already).

I don't think I have the knowledge (or time) to improve it in any way, but I'll start digging the web for some hints. Maybe mouse-aiming be done afterall?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71376&p=389625#post389625

If the sword-sprite just needs to be extended, maybe I could do that, too ... if I knew how to get the sprite ... and how to get it back into the game :blink:

I think I saw an high-resolution pack for this port somewhere ... this would imply you can just "easily" replace textures and sprites ...

Thanks mcobit for the port !! But I can't get it to work.. I put the sw.grp in the directory, but it doesn't launch the game..
Anything in the out file?

Edit: does it work for others?

Anything in the out file?

Edit: does it work for others?
Here's the out file

Code:
=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/PANDORA/pandora/menu/shadowwarrior.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/shadowwarrior
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : scripts/sw.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/shadowwarrior"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/shadowwarrior=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/shadowwarrior=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/shadowwarrior"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (scripts/sw.sh ) ----------
mkdir: cannot create directory `./.jfsw': File exists
./sw: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (scripts/sw.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/shadowwarrior': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 4

Lol, I think I compiled against a gllib that I don't actually use.

Will fix that.

Ok, I did some fixes:

New version on repo.

- fixed renderer (doesn't require ogl now)

- added mouselook on right nub

- ogg music now works, if you rip your cdtracks to ogg format, rename them to track02.ogg-track14.ogg and copy them to the appdatafolder.

New problems:

- videos have inverted color

Will see if I can fix the videos later.

Do not change the videores right now.

I need to implement the 800x480 mode properly again. Right now it is just set in the configfile.

Hope it is enjoyable now.

Btw. Please delete the appdatafolder or at least the .jfsw folder when upgrading.

This one is too complex for me :blink:  . It looks like a real class FPS.

I went to the web site put the .jfsw folder in appdata. Don't understand or know how to upgrade. :huh:

After 3 hours I have no clue what to do.

Carry on lads ,carry on  ;)  

Last edited:
Did you update to the latest version of the PND? 

the .jfsw folder is created automatically when the program is ran it just stores config/save information. If you have this from the old PND version just delete it.

Also you need to copy the main data file ( sw.grp ) from the retail or shareware version of the game into the pandora/appdata/shadowwarrior directory.

Did you update to the latest version of the PND? 

the .jfsw folder is created automatically when the program is ran it just stores config/save information. If you have this from the old PND version just delete it.

Also you need to copy the main data file ( sw.grp ) from the retail or shareware version of the game into the pandora/appdata/shadowwarrior directory.
I have sw.grp in sub folder of shadowwarrior named ports. Not able to open the sucker. The other sub folders in the appdata> shadowwarrior folder are : shadowwarrior image and SW. There are files in those sub folders obviously. Do I get rid of SW folder? Do I need to take out the files from the sub folders ?

Other than those mentioned I have SWCustomtextsample and the pdf manual.

I know I should have watched The Bachelor. As a matter of fact I think I will get mind mushed and watch the rest of it. :wacko:   which is my problem in the 1st place. ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
All you need is the sw.grp file and that can go directly into the /media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/appdata/shadowwarrior  directory.

All you need is the sw.grp file and that can go directly into the /media/YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/appdata/shadowwarrior  directory.
Holy crap was that easy. Just that one file and it frickin plays like a champ!!! What a GREAT game. i had all those files in there. :blink:   I made this way more complex than it was. 3 hours of my life I will never get back  :(

Trashy ..thanks man I owe you a brew  ;)  

Seriously man, thanks.

Last edited:
If you got the datafiles from gog or something they are wrapped with another engine.

I should clarify that you only need the grp.

As aid, if you want music, you need the audiofiles from the cd ripped as ogg in the pnd, too.

Of course with the original gamefiles I meant the contents of the shadowwarrior folder how it would be originally on your pc.

When you get the files from gog or something, they are most likely wrapped into something like dosbox that allows you to play on a modern pc.

Back