"shashlik" android emulation layer

LoopStar

Hey everybody,

a while ago I stumbled upon the "shashlik" project, which is, at least as I understand it, a kind of emulation layer to run Android apps on Linux. After that, I forgot about it since it was in a very early stage of development. Recently it got mentioned in one of the pyra threads, so I'm curious again. Has anyone here ever tried it? On the Pandora even? It'd be cool if it would be available on the Pandora since I'd really like to use the soundcloud app on the Pandora.

edit: here's the link to the project

Have nothing better to do on weekend.
My Laptop runs Arch Linux and according to their website there is an AUR package (v.0.9.3).

Chances are high I get bored and give it a shot.
I'm also craving for this!

so.... not kebab, but shashlik!
[doublepost=1457732752,1457732721][/doublepost]Pressing F5 now... nope nothing yet....
[doublepost=1457732811][/doublepost]how about now... no... wait wait... fumble fumble... wait wait. But technically... it's weekend already.... sigh.... F5.... nope, still nothing...

First test.
AUR package installs without any issues.

/opt/shashlik/bin/shashlik-install /path/to/APK
does install the APK and generates a shortcut in the start menu

/opt/shashlik/bin/shashlik-run com.dotgears.flappybird "Flappy Bird"
Is the command to start the app "Flappy Bird" from terminal.

The only app that started and worked once was an Alarm Clock. (But got no alarm sound)
All the other Apps I've tried only showed a black window with the Android buttons (Back, Home, Menu) popping up occasionally.

According to the Developers it runs best on KDE Plasma 5.
I'm running XFCE. So the next step is to finally update my KDE4 to KDE5 and try it out again.

My first impression is that it's unstable but works. I do see some good potential here and as it supports native Debian there might be a good chance to get it running on Pyra.
Maybe I'll ask them for an official package.

In my opinion it doesn't make much sense to try a Pandora build as long as it's that unstable as it is now.

Oh? So there is a slim chance we could one day play the Android port of XCOM Enemy Within on the Pyra. Color me titillated

There is a good chance I'd say.
Either shashlik or native Android or some Visualization.

They can't.

No improvement with Plasma 5.
Made both of my 2 Linux SSD unusable (again). Have to fix this now...

That's sad... but thanks for testing shashlik for me! It'd be great if this would reach a level stable enough to run on the Pandora, too.

Concerning Plasma 5... a few days ago i wanted to testdrive the latest Kubuntu (15.10 I think it was). It installed fine enough but when I wanted to log in, it immediately crashed and threw me back to the login screen. Logging in from the console and starting X manually didn't work either. But I didn't want to spend the time find out what's wrong. Maybe I'll check out a different KDE based distro sometime.

I'm using Plasma on all my Arch PCs for about a year now (when it was still beta) without any issues :)

Here's a video which shows an other game than flappy bird working:
Thanks for your concern regarding my SSDs. At least one needs a complete reinstall...
I've opened up a thread. Maybe someone here has an idea how to fix it without much effort.

Last edited:
Back