SheevaPlug versus OpenPandora as (SILENT) Server?

Your Preference as a File Server between:

• SheevaPlug

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • OpenPandora

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

patrick295767

Hello,

Since years, I own a Sheeva as a file server. I love it since it is very very silent. A wonderful machine.

As a server (another one), I am thinking that maybe the OpenPandora could be as well suited. The advantage is that the OpenPandora has a little screen. 

The pricing is the same. 

The Operating System would be Debian. Installing Debian is not a problem on those machines at all, and it works perfectly. 

What would you choose as a Debian File Server (the device with attached a HUB and a Harddisk of 3-4 GB)?

Best regards,

Happy Christmas Time!

Pat

marvell_sheevaplug_computer2.jpg

pandora-lid-open.jpg

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
If the device is supposed to be stationary, then sheevaplug all the way, since its got built-in ethernet and a more convenient form for stationary, out-of-the-way use.

Pandoras are great for portable computing, and are obviously far better in the way of UI hardware - but then a server, almost by definition, operates over a network.

mcobit

Advanced Member
What binky said.

Alternatively a RaspberryPi.

The Pandora would need a constant powersupply what would not be good for the battery in the long run and it is a lot more expensive to be used as a server.

Super Roach

oh you can't put me on the spot like that!
There are different sheevaplugs these days. I have one of the first generation ones, and although they showed promise, it had a decent learning curve to uBoot for me.

I thought the sheeva would be much cheaper - mine was $99aud. OP is many times more.

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
There are dozens of single board computers that would make excellent headless (or not) file servers for way cheaper than either of these.

I'd recommend a Pi or Panda/Beagleboard or something similar.