Sheevaplug

TrevorBradley

Just found this link to an upcoming device called the SheevaPlug:

linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html

Runs Linux on an ARM9 processor at 1.2Ghz and 512MB of ram, plugs into a wall socket and uses the power of a nightlight. Looks like it will retail for $100.

I can think of a few uses for that puppy... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that thing on Engadget, look pretty fucking cool.

Some one was saying any thing you plug in you will need to right drivers for, that could get a drag!

If it has the power to run video, you could run a TV just off of this, with a Ethernet cable going to storage of some sort.

Is it possible to add display? looking at schematic and pcb layout, it has no connectors for display. I wonder if the cpu has capability of interfacing to a lcd??

(naw)mcx posted on Feb 25 2009 at 08:54 AM said:
'vhangell' said:
Is it possible to add display? looking at schematic and pcb layout, it has no connectors for display. I wonder if the cpu has capability of interfacing to a lcd??
I heard you can use it with a usb>vga adapter.

If you're looking for a display, I think you're misunderstanding what the device is meant for. ssh should be enough for this puppy.

Might be needed in the early config stages though.

So... could I use this to make my own home server? I have always wanted to do that, but always seem to break something when I try to.

how about a linux cluster or compile farm. A desktop takes about 200W you could run 50 sheevaplugs at that power.

This is slight necroposting but: Anyone know what distro is running on it and is it possible to drop debian in to it? The links on the linuxdevices story are to NAS services, which isn't that interesting to me. Primary use for me would be to run a low traffic webserver on it, my eee drops connections regularly so it's not so useful as a server. Perhaps a gbit->usb dongle would be better for now though.

Back