Should I Get The Wiz Or Orginial Gp2x?

OldSchoolShawnyMac

Still Fresh
So I have been wrestling with the question of buying one of these or not for a long while now. I had left this board a few months back and wound up buying a Nintendo DS. I must say I am very happy with it but have realized it will nto get the job done when it comes to emualtion.

So now I see that GP2X is coming out with this new little wiz version. So I really want to purchase one of these bad boys. Problem is I'm not sure which to shell out my hard earned cash on. Do I go the Ebay route and buy a second hand GP2X for probably what will be an inflated bidding war price? Or do I wait a few months until the Wiz has some devloper power behind it and buy that?

I had the same question and the main things why I was wondering was the screen and the TV-out

It'd be better to wait for the Wiz, which will overall be a more up to date and nicer system, than pay two or three times the price for an older model on eBay. It's not much longer of a wait, so just wait it out :)

DurTahar said:
It'd be better to wait for the Wiz, which will overall be a more up to date and nicer system, than pay two or three times the price for an older model on eBay.
Two to three times the price? I recently bought F200 in good condition for 100 euros including shipping and it came with GP Powerbank charger and 4 2700mah batteries + two 2gb Sandisk SD cards.

I am probably going to buy Wiz or Pandora in the future if they prove to be significantly more powerful than the old model, but for now, I am very happy that I bought a used gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two to three times the price? I recently bought F200 in good condition for 100 euros including shipping and it came with GP Powerbank charger and 4 2700mah batteries + two 2gb Sandisk SD cards.

I don't know, maybe you're just having better luck than I did but I spent two months around August of last year trying to find an F200 and the only ones on eBay were at least $300-$400. Maybe it's just in the US that they're that expensive, or maybe it was just a bad time that I was looking (or a good time that you were).

I saw a few that had starting prices that were normal for the F200 but there would only be one or two on there at a time and the bids would quickly get waaaay up there.

limonaati said:
DurTahar said:
It'd be better to wait for the Wiz, which will overall be a more up to date and nicer system, than pay two or three times the price for an older model on eBay.

I am probably going to buy Wiz or Pandora in the future if they prove to be significantly more powerful than the old model, but for now, I am very happy that I bought a used gp2x.

Did you buy this off of EBAY? I saw a GP2X going for 98.00 US dollars but missed out on getting in a bid. It would be funny if that is the one you purchased. I actually was surprised that only one bid had gone in for the system as well. In the past I have seen bidding wars go down on Ebay and the price rise up to anywhere between 150 to 200 bucks.

I'm saving for a trip to Florida in May anyways so I might just hold off until the WIZ is out and has all the devs working on new software for it.

OldSchoolShawnyMac said:
Did you buy this off of EBAY? I saw a GP2X going for 98.00 US dollars but missed out on getting in a bid. It would be funny if that is the one you purchased. I actually was surprised that only one bid had gone in for the system as well. In the past I have seen bidding wars go down on Ebay and the price rise up to anywhere between 150 to 200 bucks.

I'm saving for a trip to Florida in May anyways so I might just hold off until the WIZ is out and has all the devs working on new software for it.
Actually nope, that's not mine. I didn't buy my F200 from eBay, but from the finnish equivalent of it, huuto.net (http://www.huuto.net). It's very similar to eBay but most of the people trading there are finnish.

From what I've seen, the prices are usually pretty much the same at huuto.net as they are on eBay.

Maybe the horrible $300 prices I saw had to do with the fact that it was getting around the time for people to be doing early Christmas shopping. Even still, if you are paying anything near the price of the Wiz for an F200, I would think it would be better to just wait, especially since it's release is just a few weeks away.

...exactly, don't forget that Feb is a short month (3 weeks left) and it's estimated to ship that first Friday in March. Just in time for GDC for me.

These are going to be the longest three weeks ever, that's all I can say.

For some reason the months I've been waiting since my preorder are nothing compared to these three weeks!

OldSchoolShawnyMac said:
So I have been wrestling with the question of buying one of these or not for a long while now. I had left this board a few months back and wound up buying a Nintendo DS. I must say I am very happy with it but have realized it will nto get the job done when it comes to emualtion.

So now I see that GP2X is coming out with this new little wiz version. So I really want to purchase one of these bad boys. Problem is I'm not sure which to shell out my hard earned cash on. Do I go the Ebay route and buy a second hand GP2X for probably what will be an inflated bidding war price? Or do I wait a few months until the Wiz has some devloper power behind it and buy that?
Yeah the DS screen is too low res for emulation.

As far as the wiz it has been said by some coders that that the performance is not all that much better, the screen is much smaller than a GP2X, and the controls are small and cramped. So it may not be as simple as newer=better.

One thing I've been reading about the Wiz and the screen is the screen tearing. I know vsync would fix these issues, but for emulation it would more than likely slow the emu down some. That's not necessarily a good thing since it really doesn't seem that the Wiz is that much faster from the last comparisons that I've seen. However this was with mmuhacks, crazy gp2x optimizations, and so on. The Wiz emus running from what I have heard haven't been optimized at all. If you want something a tad smaller and don't have huge hands wait for a Wiz. I'm still planning on getting one. The build quality seems so much better so it will be a nice replacement for my GP2X. Plus I don't care if some are saying the controlls are cramped. The Wiz already looks like it has 10x better controlls than the GP2X. That stick is the devil if you're a fan of fighting games or shootem ups. Hell even going through gmenu or the regular gp2x menu could be a pain sometimes.

geise69 said:
One thing I've been reading about the Wiz and the screen is the screen tearing. I know vsync would fix these issues, but for emulation it would more than likely slow the emu down some. That's not necessarily a good thing since it really doesn't seem that the Wiz is that much faster from the last comparisons that I've seen. However this was with mmuhacks, crazy gp2x optimizations, and so on. The Wiz emus running from what I have heard haven't been optimized at all. If you want something a tad smaller and don't have huge hands wait for a Wiz. I'm still planning on getting one. The build quality seems so much better so it will be a nice replacement for my GP2X. Plus I don't care if some are saying the controlls are cramped. The Wiz already looks like it has 10x better controlls than the GP2X. That stick is the devil if you're a fan of fighting games or shootem ups. Hell even going through gmenu or the regular gp2x menu could be a pain sometimes.
The Wiz has a particular kind of diagonal screen tearing that's not related to vsync and is some kind of bug in the hardware or software setup (hasn't been determined yet). Running in 240x320 mode fixes this, but it has its own overheads in getting the right images out at that.

Waiting for vsync doesn't cost anything on the Wiz if you use N-buffering (more than single buffering). The hardware even shadows the registers so the modifications are only updated at vsync if you do things correctly. I'm not sure if this happened on the GP2X or not (I would guess yes since I didn't get any tearing and I was never waiting for vsync in Temper), but it's more deliberate here.

The version of Temper I have for Wiz right now is as optimized as the GP2X version.

I agree that the controls are much better than the original F100. I can't comment on the F200. F100 with a good dpad mod beats Wiz though, IMO.

Exophase said:
Waiting for vsync doesn't cost anything on the Wiz if you use N-buffering (more than single buffering). The hardware even shadows the registers so the modifications are only updated at vsync if you do things correctly. I'm not sure if this happened on the GP2X or not (I would guess yes since I didn't get any tearing and I was never waiting for vsync in Temper), but it's more deliberate here.
I'm pretty sure GP2X doesn't shadow anything, I have seen plenty of tearing even if I did N-buffering.

Go with the wiz if you look at ebays current prices on the f-200 they are fetching 159.00 - 199.99 plus shipping wiz preorder 179.00 add a sd card plus shipping and your looking at around 209.00. So for the price why buy something second hand that has been used hard for 10 dollars less than you can get a brand new device and its only inless the time line changes 4 more weeks till the first batch ships!!

No TV out though.... and no two player games either....
Those are the two main reasons I cancelled my Wiz order and got a GP2x :D

maxSteiner said:
No TV out though.... and no two player games either....
Those are the two main reasons I cancelled my Wiz order and got a GP2x :D

Is there and thing that make it unpossible to yo make multiplayer games for the Wiz ??

Edit: nothing added it to wrong post

OT: GPH is notorious in some circles for being remote and inaccessible. I'm pretty sure they'd be here IF they spoke english enough. There was one thread they followed when the Wiz was announced. And good thing (and kudos to craig for pushing this) they did because they changed the dual dpad thing to dpad+ separated buttons layout due to talks with distributors and the forum.

Back