Should the Repo be made the offical source for Pandora software?

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember

From the perspective of a new Pandora user who has perhaps not followed the Pandora story in detail, the current situation of having multiple sources for Pandora software must be quite confusing.

I'm in no way suggesting that sources alternative to the repo should be deleted or that links to these sites should not be clearly available on the new Pandora website. However I believe that it would make sense to link to only the Repo in the main navigation bar for the website / forum.

What I'd like to see is a prominent page on the new website dedicated to explaining where to get Pandora software giving a brief description of and links to things like the File archive, the App store, the Repo, Streaks facebook page, the software list on the wiki etc.

With hopefully a large number of new users soon to join the Pandora community then this sort of thinking, i.e. looking at things from the perspective of a new user, should be a high priority for the OP team IMHO.

I would say yes. However, I consider it way more important that people support the repo-spec, regardless of where they upload their software. If multiple of these do come into existance, then discoverability of the other repositories needs to be addressed as well (e.g. a wiki page linked from the main site).

Meh. Having the PNDStore application in the firmware pretty much makes it the defato standard without changing a thing.

Yeah, panorama is still in the pipeline hopefully :)

I'd just like to say that Facebook shouldn't be used as a repo, regardless of the reasons why. And in no way does this assertion belittle the excellent work of folks who may or may not use it as such.

But doesent panorama work only on the pandora? Isnt download speed for large files kinda slow i thought.And is the wi-fi also a tad unreliable for some users?What about those who wish to use their computers to download stuff.

But doesent panorama work only on the pandora? Isnt download speed for large files kinda slow i thought.And is the wi-fi also a tad unreliable for some users?What about those who wish to use their computers to download stuff.

They should learn to parse json ;)

Edit: I did, with a wee bit of help from these forums for the repo spec. That's how I first downloaded every single Pandora app to put on my SD card. It's easier by far to just download *everything* and weed out the crap later. Hear about a good app on the forums? BAM already got it!

Edit: Although it does make the menu a bit clunky and slow in XFCE. Admittedly :)

The point I'm trying to make in a roundabout and sarcy way is that the Repo is always going to be accessible, it'd be trivial to roll a desktop client. Panorama already works on the desktop as far as I know, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Panorama with milky test on the nand as the recommended way of updating Pandora software but I guess this would take up a lot more nand space than PNDstore. However the idea of this post is to make things easier to understand for new users or people who have not followed the forums too closely.

If I put myself in the shoes of a new user or potential reviewer of the Pandora I'd be pretty confused as to why the 'official' App store is so out of date and underused compared to the repo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The repo is definately the way to go. The only problem I have with it is the lack of some of the older software that was ported before the repo came to be and the dev hasn't uploaded to the repo for whatever reason, stuff like Prboom comes to mind.

Given that I start from a fresh install of the firmware from the SD very frequently, the PNDStore helps get me up-to-speed with the PNDs I need very quickly with the help of a couple of scripts and my local fileserver. I'd have to really want a PND to be trawling Facebook everytime I flashed my firmware. I respect the devs choice to roll out a PND however the hell they like, after all, they made/ported it, it's their choice. But you won't find me using their output unless they use the repo (or I'm fairly desperate for the PND in question).

Looks like Craigix has voted ;)

- Neelix

1vote.png

Back