Shuttle Return

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
I was watching the news this morning before heading off to work, and they were going on about a space shuttle returning to earth. It just occurred to me how they were over dramatise the whole thing, i.e. “The shuttle will be travelling back to earth at over the speed of sound”. Then a thought popped into my head, I wish I wrote the content of that news reel, I would loved to have the news caster read something like:

“The space shuttle will be returning to earth this morning at speeds in excess of the speed of sound, trailed by deadly fiery gases in its wake. While the shuttle descends through the stratosphere, the astronauts on board have been set the difficult task of escaping from sacks, handcuffs and straightjackets within 3 minutes before the man eating tigers are released into the cockpit. Eat your heart out David Copperfield!”

That's the problem these days.

People are 'used' to seeing astronauts heading off into space. If this wasn't the first mission for the US in a number of years, no-one would give a damn.

Which is a shame, because we should all be in 'awe' of space travel - though I wonder why we haven't gone much furhter than the 70's.

More likely the modern media (especially rolling news networks) have to compete to make their news 'the most exciting' <_<

We live in a world where every story is now a big story and is minutely analyzed until the next big story comes along.

Kop_007 posted on Aug 8 2005 at 10:17 AM said:
That's the problem these days.

People are 'used' to seeing astronauts heading off into space. If this wasn't the first mission for the US in a number of years, no-one would give a damn.

Which is a shame, because we should all be in 'awe' of space travel - though I wonder why we haven't gone much furhter than the 70's.

have you ever wondered why we haven't landed on the moon since?? Thats because the moon landing was a hollywood production. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Huxley posted on Aug 8 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
Google, a highly reliable source if ever there was one.

If civilisation ever goes out of the window and humanity practically dissapears I would imagine explorers will believe that google was our almighty god, represented by smaller deities, sony, nescafe and microsoft - the bringers of things essential to our survival.

Twimfy posted on Aug 8 2005 at 08:45 PM said:
Huxley posted on Aug 8 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
Google, a highly reliable source if ever there was one.

If civilisation ever goes out of the window and humanity practically dissapears I would imagine explorers will believe that google was our almighty god, represented by smaller deities, sony, nescafe and microsoft - the bringers of things essential to our survival.

wtf! Nescafe?

Nescafe??? OMG Why do people like that crud....

1.2.3.4.5.6.7.... Ah relax. Sorry but the N word is like torture to me. I have to take my own coffee to work because they buy the N word cheap crap yeuck.

BaDToaD posted on Aug 8 2005 at 10:05 PM said:
Nescafe??? OMG Why do people like that crud....

1.2.3.4.5.6.7.... Ah relax. Sorry but the N word is like torture to me. I have to take my own coffee to work because they buy the N word cheap crap yeuck.

But isn't it made out of 5 of best coffee beans? Actually I remember the advert of that with Gareth hunt making a rather rude gesture with his hand before he showed you the coffee beans, just goes to show what actually thought of Nescafe' :lol: OOPS sorry, I mean the 'N' word.

Back