Silkscreening

Tokiopop

These cases will not have a silkscreen as that would push delivery out into April and even then Craig worried they would screw it up and stiff us with the cases. The problem is the mold company outsources the work and so they all have to be packaged up carefully, sent to this other company, printed, repackaged carefully and sent back to the mold company to be shipped to Craig with everything else. It could cause as much as another month of delays with the way we should trust them.

I built a unit using a silk screened case and I really liked it but the truth is, 10 minutes after using it, the silkscreen is forgotten and you don’t even notice it anymore. The way you normally hold it in the 170 degree open position means you can’t see any of it anyway. The LEDs are also color coded so maybe that helps too. The sticker under the battery with serial number and model number also has all the voltage and current details for the unit so in a way, not having that on the back is covered. I don’t know if any of this is comforting but it’s an unfortunate result of a product that can’t afford more delays.

(MWeston)

Was I the only one wanting silkscreening?

it serves no real purpose other than to make the unit more aesthetically pleasing.
it'll cost more time to get it right, so forget about it.

(naw)mcx said:
Every one is acting as if they are not putting keyboard markings on!

EVERY ONE KNOWS WHAT USB SLOTS LOOKS LIKE, EVERY ONE KNOWS WHAT A HEADPHONE SOCKET LOOKS LIKE!
Yes, but it looks cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
The LEDs are color coded... What does that mean? Are they RGB, 4 color, or single colors that vary?

i dont really care either way when it comes to how it will look. what i do care about is if it would take longer for me to get my pandora, it will, so i do NOT want the tiny letters that tell me what i already know. thank you.

pointless thread yes.
silkscreening would have had that "im a finished unit" look but tbh pandora either gets put out there to the world or it sits in a cupboard being modded and tweaked til everthing is perfect. silkscreening doesnt add anything other than the obvious labelling to the pandora. i have no need for it past the labelling of the LEDs once ive figured those out a cleaner looking pandora is perfect... im also one of those who wated the though of being labelled a first batcher bag on my unit :/ thought that was a bit tacky

We were told that the silkscreening was done IN HOUSE, and that it would be done right after the cases were moulded. So we were lied to. Again. Why can't OP ever tell us like it is straight? And no, I won't surrender my order number. Try and make me.

Nova said:
We were told that the silkscreening was done IN HOUSE, and that it would be done right after the cases were moulded. So we were lied to. Again. Why can't OP tell us like it is straight. And no, I won't surrender my order number. Try and make me.
Add this to the list of miscommunications. ED said something on the German boards about it. Basically the factory said silkscreening is no problem when OP asked, but when they submitted the MP roadmap, they revealed they don't do it in house.
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=115344#p115344

Nova said:
We were told that the silkscreening was done IN HOUSE, and that it would be done right after the cases were moulded. So we were lied to. Again. Why can't OP ever tell us like it is straight? And no, I won't surrender my order number. Try and make me.

:D

mali said:
Nova said:
We were told that the silkscreening was done IN HOUSE, and that it would be done right after the cases were moulded. So we were lied to. Again. Why can't OP tell us like it is straight. And no, I won't surrender my order number. Try and make me.
Add this to the list of miscommunications. ED said something on the German boards about it. Basically the factory said silkscreening is no problem when OP asked, but when they submitted the MP roadmap, they revealed they don't do it in house.
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=115344#p115344

This is all stuff that they should have known. Either the factory is being deceptive, which is unforgivable (and OP should not use this factory again if so) or the OP team weren't asking the right questions when they paid all this money, and then even after they got a chinese translator - it's not something they should just be learning. I really don't know what's worse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still supporting OP with my wallet. But the disappointments have been coming thick and fast recently.

Tokiopop said:
Was I the only one wanting silkscreening?
No you weren't the only one! I wanted silkscreening, and still do, but having seen several of the developers units, I think it looks cool without it, and at this point I'm just tired of waiting. I can always get a silked screen case later if I find it to be that important! I always thought that after so much time was taken for other things, why not wait and do "EVERYTHING" to make this project a 100% as invisioned.

Now I know perfection is in the eye of the beholder, and many like it, some don't, and many could care less. So now I just say let the chips fall where they may. We all have to pick and choose battles in life, and I think the team made the right decision to let this battle go, and focus on the WAR at hand! LET's GO TEAM PANDORA! :lol:

Chris

Something wrong with the other thread about the lack of silk-screening?

I've said before: silk-screening would have been nice (and proper - not because I don't know what a USB port is, but because I like my finished products to look less like in-house prototypes), but it's not as nice as having a Pandora at all, so my disappointment will pass. Unless I think about it.

It's a month delay. It's bearable and in my opinion preferable than an unfinished product.

Quoting for relevance:

MWeston said:
Our assembler and manufacturers make products for companies like Nokia so this won't be some two bit operation in the back of someone's garage.

Back