Silkscreening

Alec

I, for one, am happy about the no-silkscreening decision.

partyi.png

Oh, they decided on that?
That's cool.
If anybody wants, when I get my 2nd batch Pandora, I can scrape off the silkscreen and ship it to you in the mail. There will be some assembly required...

I didn't really care if they did it or not, but I'm very pleased with the choice they made.

I agree with their decision since silk screening would've caused more delays.

Maybe someone can design some cool stickers for use in place of the silk screen screening.

Perhaps we could just post some sort of schematics or something to the Pandora innards later for hacking?

lulzfish said:
Oh, they decided on that?
That's cool.
If anybody wants, when I get my 2nd batch Pandora, I can scrape off the silkscreen and ship it to you in the mail. There will be some assembly required...
No guarantee on those traces, I presume?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Crunchwrap:
I'm going to guess I was thinking something wrong? I thought silkscreening was the explanation of which trace is what? I wasn't following those to closely so I just assumed...

Jourdy288 said:
@Crunchwrap:
I'm going to guess I was thinking something wrong? I thought silkscreening was the explanation of which trace is what? I wasn't following those to closely so I just assumed...
The silk screen is the labels on the outside of the Pandora, the ones that say "power" and "USB" and "SD 1" "SD 2". Those things.

WizardStan said:
Jourdy288 said:
@Crunchwrap:
The silk screen is the labels on the outside of the Pandora, the ones that say "power" and "USB" and "SD 1" "SD 2". Those things.
Indeed. There is a silkscreen on the PCB itself, which notoriously says "do not touch while live", but the controversy is about the silkscreen on the case, which was taking longer and blocking progress. The motherboard silkscreen has been done for eons now, and will certainly ship.

Alec  said:
I, for one, am happy about the no-silkscreening decision.

partyi.png

The cat looks so cute.

I never really cared whether or not there was silkscreening, though.

Gruso said:
Jourdy, silkscreen: http://pandorapress.net/files/2010/01/silk_screen.jpg

Wait, that's what it was going to look like? That's CRAP. Why would the SDHC slots be numbered? Who wrote that dumb "first batch" text? Why would you write "USB" on it? The text "USB" always looks terrible. Don't put it anywhere. If you have trademark authorization, use the USB trident logo (which would have looked good), but if you don't, it's better to just leave it blank. Everyone will know what it is by the unique shape of the USB connector. But, actually writing "USB" on it looks ugly.

Put that silkscreen on the second batch. It will be their ugly mark of shame for not having had faith during the first batch. (Am I overzealous?)

Rekcitok said:
Put that silkscreen on the second batch. It will be their ugly mark of shame for not having had faith during the first batch. (Am I overzealous?)
No, I'll just have to clear off the silkscreen and use a razor knife to etch "second batch" under the battery.

Rekcitok said:
Gruso said:
Jourdy, silkscreen: http://pandorapress.net/files/2010/01/silk_screen.jpg

Wait, that's what it was going to look like? That's CRAP. Why would the SDHC slots be numbered? Who wrote that dumb "first batch" text? Why would you write "USB" on it? The text "USB" always looks terrible. Don't put it anywhere. If you have trademark authorization, use the USB trident logo (which would have looked good), but if you don't, it's better to just leave it blank. Everyone will know what it is by the unique shape of the USB connector. But, actually writing "USB" on it looks ugly.

Thanks for rocking up at the eleventh hour and dissing the hard work of others. It's always appreciated.

If you're using a terminal emulator to access the SD cards you'll access them as /media/mmc1 and /media/mmc2 so the 1 and 2 would be slightly helpful for those that don't read/count left to right. Maybe.

PhillipJ said:
If you're using a terminal emulator to access the SD cards you'll access them as /media/mmc1 and /media/mmc2 so the 1 and 2 would be slightly helpful for those that don't read/count left to right. Maybe.
that's wrong. It will name them by label and insert-order.

Rekcitok said:
Wait, that's what it was going to look like?
No. That was a sample piece done using an older file.

Everyone will know what it is by the unique shape of the USB connector. But, actually writing "USB" on it looks ugly.
Just to play devil's advocate, here... :p It's a USB 2.0 High Speed port only. USB 1.0/1.1 stuff won't work in it unless you put a hub in-between, even though they use an identical plug. Everyone won't know that without either being told about it (which is fine is you read the forums and wiki - I'd wager there were plenty of folks who didn't know the ins and outs of this before it came up originally), or it being mentioned on a label. :p Personally I considered that a good reason for writing "USB HS 2.0" on it, because it says what it actually is.

Anyhow, I'm not partying or complaining about the decision that was made, as I never had any strong feelings either way. My approach was always "I'll get what I get", so I'm happy either way. :p

Back