Release Sixaxis / Dualshock 3 / PS3 controller bluetooth userland driver

Ultra_Jon

By request, here's a port of the sixad driver supplied with QTSixa.  With it you can connect your PS3 controllers to the Pandora via bluetooth.

There are a number of caveats:

--You can't use any not-PS3-controller bluetooth devices while the driver daemon is running.

--This thing generally tends to lay eggs all over the bluetooth stack.  In particular, it makes the bluetooth-applet that normally manages devices in xfce go and cry in a corner.  I haven't yet had a problem that couldn't be solved by turning bluetooth off and back on, but don't come crying to me if things get a little weird.  No warranty.

--All you get is a joystick device.  If the app you want to use lacks joystick support or if you want to control your mouse with your controller, I recommend the wonderful QJoyPad app, available in the repo.

--Again, this is provided as-is, no warranties.

--I haven't tested it with multiple PS3 controllers at once.  If you're feeling adventurous, try it out and let me know how it goes.

--Did I mention that there's no warranty?

EDIT:  One more thing:  know thy root password.  Every last thing in this package is sudo'd.  You're going to have to enter it a bunch.

Download available here: 

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sixad_wrapper

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you! Will have to test this out later today.

What kind of warranty can I expect if this software opens up a wormhole and swallows my Pandora?  :p

Just remembered another caveat.  I'll go edit it into the first post. 

Thank-you! Will have to test this out later today.

What kind of warranty can I expect if this software opens up a wormhole and swallows my Pandora?  :p
Actually that is covered by my extended "no coverage" warranty.  It costs only 50 US dollars per month, and in the event of wormhole related malfunction it entitles you to absolutely nothing, in addition to a sympathetic "Awww, that's too bad" at my discretion.

I got the idea from my insurance company. ;-)

Those offering to test, do make sure to let me know how it goes.  It just wouldn't be an Ultra_Jon release if it worked for everyone the first time.

I hope I don't have to add in legacy filesystem support again...

You!  Sir Ultra_Jon:  YOU ARE AWESOME and a GENIUS!  I've been waiting for this all my life.  It works perfect!!!!!! :D :lol:

Now the Pandora can be an ultimate retro home console as well!!!!

This should be part of the firmware!!!!

Thanks, this is awesome.  I can't believe there isn't more love shown for this since its been since 2008 when the first sixaxis release on Pandora and and don't know anyone got it to work, I know I didn't and I have been waiting since ever since.

Now I have to get a PS3 controller without owning a PS3 :) .

Any chance to get this for the Wii U pro controller?

Not the gamepad, but the controller?

This should be part of the firmware!!!!
That's what I thought, too.  Which is to say, I thought sixaxis bluetooth support in general should be part of the firmware;  though I was hoping more for it to be done the "right" way (in a plug 'n' play manner via the kernel) rather than this way.  Maybe this'll motivate our crack team of OS jockeys to figure out how to integrate the kernel driver better.

Thanks, this is awesome.  I can't believe there isn't more love shown for this since its been since 2008 when the first sixaxis release on Pandora and and don't know anyone got it to work, I know I didn't and I have been waiting since ever since.
There have been a couple of forum members way back in ancient history who've claimed to have gotten it working, but none of them ended up sharing their methods with us lowly peons.

Working perfect for two-player games with PCSX-ReARMed :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U47FVg-vK_k

Think of it as me paying you back for your generosity in selling Pandoras at cost to those of us screwed over by Craig.

Now I have to get a PS3 controller without owning a PS3 :) .

Any chance to get this for the Wii U pro controller?

Not the gamepad, but the controller?
Not from me there isn't.  From what little research I did on the subject, it looks like linux Wii U pro controller support is in the process of happening (it didn't seem to be ready for primetime yet), but it's happening in the kernel (which I never was very good at developing for).  Also I don't have access to the hardware in question, so I lack both the ability to test any software I might try to port, and the motivation to attempt such an undertaking.

There's support available for some of the other more proprietary controllers though;  the wiimote, xbox / 360 controllers, and probably some standard bluetooth HID devices (though don't quote me on that last one).

Also, I must be quite clear about this:  I'm not the author of this software, I just compiled the driver portion and packaged it up, along with someone else's port of the pairing software.  I'm hardly the sort of wunderkind who writes these kinds of drivers from scratch.

The USB hub I have isn't compatible with the Pandora it seams.  :(
What're the symptoms?  You may need to press the PlayStation button on your controller to successfully pair it.  I just noticed that I neglected to mention that in my docs.  Sorry about that.  :(

If that's not the case, would you happen to be using a usb bluetooth dongle with your pandy?  Because the way I've integrated the pair utility isn't compatible with external bluetooth chips.  You can pair it manually with the "sixpair" utility, which you can find by searching the forums, on dl.openhandhelds.org's pandora section, or in the .pnd of my utility.

If it turns out that the hub really is the problem, you can manually command the controller to pair with the pandy from another linux box.  Google "sixpair" and download it to your computer, open a terminal, connect your ps3 controller to the usb, press the playstation button and enter the command:

sixpair MA:CA:DD:RE:SS

where MA:CA:DD:RE:SS is the mac address of your pandy's bluetooth controller.  There should be a directory in /var/lib/bluetooth on the pandy whose name will be the MAC address you need.

Looks like my hub isn't compatible too. Does it have to be a powered usb2 hub? Just keeps saying no USB device found or something to that effect. :(

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Looks like my hub isn't compatible too. Does it have to be a powered usb2 hub? Just keeps saying no USB device found or something to that effect. :(

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
It has to support usb 2.0, but I paired my controller with a non-powered hub and it worked fine.  Are you remembering to press the PS button?  Also try turning on bluetooth during the pairing process.

Found the sixaxis pair tool for windows. Put in my Pandora's MAC address, and it started working almost instantly. Fantastic app, thank-you so much!

This will be very helpful for those configuring their controllers with an emulator:

ps3.jpg

EDIT:

It looks like rumble support from qtsixa is on by default. Enable rumble in mupen64plus, change three variables in InputAutoCfg.ini under PS3 section

plugin = 5

Mempak switch = button(0)

Rumblepak switch = button(16)

The PS button will switch to rumblepak. Select button will switch to mempak and disable rumble.

Only downfall to the rumble feature is it seams to be over-aggressive. Rumble aggressiveness/sensitivity may not be translating properly, any little bump sends the rumble motor(s) into overdrive.

I had a look at the qtsixa manual and it didn't help for bupkus.  The only configuration I could find was a binary "rumble on / rumble off" switch in some file in /var/lib.  I'm not feeling super motivated at the moment, but I'll try to force myself to look into it.  A cursory glance at the source leads me to believe that the driver simply does what the application tells it; in this case, mupen is telling it to feedback at thus-and-such intensity.  It looks like it ought to be trivial to modify the code to always make it feedback at the "weak" intensity, I might look into that and release it as a binary that you can put in your appdata directory to override the sixad binary in the pnd.

Now, this might be completely impossible and I might be talking out of a very unsuited bodily orifice, but: Is there a way to do it the other way around? That is, to use my Pandora as a controller for the PS3? And before everyone goes "You fool, there are not enough shoulder buttons/tilt sensors/thingies for that!", I'm aware of the fact that it wont work for every game. Just a thought?

Back