Skyfire Mobile Browser

28user

Still Fresh
There is a new mobile browser called skyfire http://www.skyfire.com/. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to access sites which require flash without actually having flash installed. Does any think this is possible to use with the Pandora? I would be interested in using it to access hulu.com & other sites that are generally not available for mobile browsing.

Looks interesting in principle, there's no details of how it works, but I assume they are acting as a streaming proxy for the content. Sort of like slingbox or streammygame, but on someone elses computer.

I note they currently only support up to 320x320, apart from the whole WindowsMobileandSymbianOnly thing.

I got in on the Skyfire beta several months back, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. The constant zooming in and out and dragging the screen around makes actually reading things a hassle. IE mobile is not exactly the shining star of handheld browsers, but I went back to it almost immediately after trying Skyfire.

They do act as a streaming proxy, converting flash video into their own (even more compressed) format. It works, but not as well as real flash support, which we are likely to have via Gnash with Firefox.

Add these problems to the fact that it is a closed source commercial project, and it just isn't worth considering.

28user said:
I read that gnash has trouble with locking up on hulu.com
Which may get fixed. Overall, swfdec has better support for video. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
sindbad said:
28user said:
I read that gnash has trouble with locking up on hulu.com
Which may get fixed. Overall, swfdec has better support for video. We'll see.

yeah, it still has issues, but it works :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather just see a VNC port, or even better, Firefox with flash support.

Back