Smartcard Reader

Swordfish II

Advanced Member
Is there smartcard support for the Pandora? Would be awesome if I could use a reader to access some work webmail.

I know that there are quite some supported readers with drivers in the debian (nonfree)repo.
I dont know, if they are also in the ARM repos.

Smartcard? What do you mean by smartcard? Before opening the thread, I assumed you meant SmartMedia cards, which predate SD cards as a standard, and are only really of interest if you have one for the GP32 or a really old camera or something, I guess. But that wouldn't help with work webmail, so I guess you didn't mean that.

One other option might be a NFC card, but I can't see how that would help with email specifically. And it's fair to say the Pyra doesn't support that out of the box either.

But the Pyra should have decent support for VPNs, which would allow you on to the work's network with the right config, let alone just work email. But those can't be described as any sort of card, let alone smart ones, so I really have no clue what you're asking, I'm afraid.

Smartcard? What do you mean by smartcard?

I assume he means the chipcards that are sometimes used in companies for access control (doors and such) and sometimes also for en/decrypting emails. Some business laptops (Lenovo I think has a few, for example) have a built-in reader for those so you can log into Windows and authenticate yourself with your company ID.

As for support for that: I can't recall ever hearing about smartcard reader hardware in it. Software-wise, I don't see a problem. It is just a Debian installation after all. You'd need to connect an external reader though.

I've often used smartcards on Linux Systems for my customers:
They connect the smartcardreader and the smartcard to their Linux Laptop and then use remmina (as rdp client)to connect to a Windows Remote machine to work with programs like Datev or similar, which use the smartcard for two-factor auth and financial transfer auth.
RDP can push the local smartcard to the remote machine.
So even, when they need a Windows machine for their work, they can still use a Linux client.

Smartcard? What do you mean by smartcard? Before opening the thread, I assumed you meant SmartMedia cards, which predate SD cards as a standard, and are only really of interest if you have one for the GP32 or a really old camera or something, I guess. But that wouldn't help with work webmail, so I guess you didn't mean that.

One other option might be a NFC card, but I can't see how that would help with email specifically. And it's fair to say the Pyra doesn't support that out of the box either.

But the Pyra should have decent support for VPNs, which would allow you on to the work's network with the right config, let alone just work email. But those can't be described as any sort of card, let alone smart ones, so I really have no clue what you're asking, I'm afraid.

A card (looks like a credit card) with a chip on it that is plugged into a reader and holds certificates that provide an extra later of security when combined with a password.

I know of programs and ways to use it in Debian. I was asking about the Pandora.

Quite right - I'm sorry, I didn't check the category this thread was in properly. I've never come across this type of card (only the wireless NFC style ones), but searching for readers I can see USB connected ones for this type of card are commonly available in the UK.

If you can post programs that can be used in debian they can almost certainly be ported to the Pandora fairly easily, and packaged as PNDs.

Back