"smc Not Inserted" Error

drocon

Still Fresh
i was fiddling around with gpdoom, and decided i wanted to try out gpduke3d, so i put it into my card reader and stuff and copied the files, but maybe i removed my card a little bit too early after i clicked eject/remove hardware (maybe it was still reading or something?), but the SMC seems completely dead now. when inserted into the gp32, it displays an error of something like "SMC not inserted or no games found" (i have the euro firmware). i tried using smcrecover multiple times, but got the same results. the SMC card reads fine with the card reader on the computer, i tried formatting it in XP, and using smcrecover and jumbo like that, but i still get the same junko.

maybe the smc is dead? maybe the card-reader is dead? as i don't have any other smc to test whether my gp32 got messed up or something, that's also a possibility. anyone had problems like this before? any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

I had a similar problem and almost trashed the SMC. But if you have another SMC, even a 8MB one would be fine, copy PACROM to it and format it in there. This is the best way to format a SMC for the GP32. It will not create the directory structure, but will find bad sectors (which are definitely there - I got 5) and mark them hence salvage the smc.

xp fooks the format up....

rats a forum member designed a tool to write a new disk image to your smc - if its 128mb it should work ok!!

have a search for it

sPaCe :ph34r:

yea i've used smcrecover on it several times, but the same problem. how does pacrom work? because if it won't even detect the SMC, how will i be able to run it from the gp32? or is it something different?

[edit]
oh its a firmware, hmm, if that's the problem, i think i might try something like that. how well did it work for you? i tried formatting with smcrecover AND xp (using FAT - i can access it in XP), but neither worked, is it because these formats can't fix the bad sectors or something?

thanks!

Back