Snail Mobile i7 Gaming Phone May Actually Make it to Western Markets

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
If you're in the market for an absurdly-large android phone with built-in gaming controls, you may soon be in luck. China's Snail Mobile has plans to sell its upcoming 6" gaming phablet outside of Asia. I wouldn't hold my breath for these to be offered free-on-contract from Verizon or Sprint, but there's at least a chance that some retailer or other will distribute and support them locally. Base specs are

• 6" 1080p display
  • 10-core mediatek CPU
  • 6GB RAM
  • 64GB storage
  • 16MP & 5MP cameras
  • 6000mAH removable battery
  • Dual SIM slots (unknown band support)
  • ~$280 retail price

dSl5MZ9.jpg

More pics here.

I have doubts about its speed.

I will look for reviews and videos showing performance. Even if I don't want one for myself, I am interested in seeing things like this here. There was a time where this would have been perfect for me at home and abroad (if they sell one that can be used globally).

I have doubts about its speed.

You're right to have doubts. The SoC is newish, but it's not exactly a barn-burner. It's a cheap, middle-of-the-road affair. Lots of little cores that are probably great for regular smartphone use, but aren't exactly ideal for emulation.

Horrible d-pad looks horrible.

Seriously. I don't know why a plastic cross is so difficult, but I have yet to see a Chinese manufacturer not frack it up.

The company making the thing calling it a "phone" doesn't make it a phone. It's a freaking tablet with phone capabilities. We don't call Pyra a phone for a reason.

Seriously. I don't know why a plastic cross is so difficult, but I have yet to see a Chinese manufacturer not frack it up.
There might still be confusion out there about the Nintendo patent on cross-shaped D-pads that expired in 2005. That was always the reason why Sega, Sony, and MS didn't have a cross shaped D-pad on controllers. And (now that it's expired) why the Xbox One controller is allowed to have a cross.

It looks very much like they took a stock phone, made small changes, and for the most part designed a controller around it.
Looks harder to break the screen because of it though :)

You're right to have doubts. The SoC is newish, but it's not exactly a barn-burner. It's a cheap, middle-of-the-road affair. Lots of little cores that are probably great for regular smartphone use, but aren't exactly ideal for emulation.
I meant that the name "Snail" doesn't make me confident that it will be fast enough for games. ;)

The X20 should be plenty fast enough, it has:

Two fast Cortex-A72 cores running at up to 2.3 GHz, four Cortex-A53 cores at up to 1.83 GHz and four Cortex-A53 cores at up to 1.4 GHz

The two A72 cores should be pretty good

Last edited:
The X20 should be plenty fast enough, it has:

Two fast Cortex-A72 cores running at up to 2.3 GHz, four Cortex-A53 cores at up to 1.83 GHz and four Cortex-A53 cores at up to 1.4 GHz

The two A72 cores should be pretty good

Second that.

The latest Snapdragon is faster (AFAIK it already has A73 cores) but A72 are pretty fast as well.

BTW: The Helio x30 would be one of my favorite Pyra Processors

Yeah, but that one is snail powered for maximum sliminess!

always amazed at how cheap these (chinese) specced-out phones can be...

Back