Snail W1 [Much]

Fzero

Advanced Member
Considering this as my gaming phone option until Pyra now.

I recently bought the Much G2 phone, which is not too bad really, bit on the bulky side and lacking a dpad, but can play games on it decent enough, just not some of the ones which demand diagonal use, as that's a bit hit and miss I find, like playing Commando or SF2 where really need to be able to hit the diagonal when needed quickly.

This shows Much logo on the back, and also the Snail logo on the spec sheet shown in the below spoiler.

I think Much put their UI onto it, from reading the spec sheet.

Better looking than the G2, and has a dpad, no idea if will be any good but I'd imagine I'd get on with it a lot better than I do with the slider nubs anyway.

I like the physical buttons too for home/back/select/start.

Only 2 shoulder buttons, so not ideal for PS1 games like Abes.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Android 4.2[/SIZE]

5" screen

2GB RAM

3000mAh battery

16GB ROM and expansion to 64GB MicroSD

1.7GHz CPU

Mali 450 GPU

I read it's due for release end of this month, so will look forward to seeing some YouTube demos of it, and I think I could be tempted to sell the G2 and perhaps get this for the meanwhile.

I think it looks pretty decent in terms of aesthetics, just hope the dpad is half decent too

14060210.jpg

14112112.jpg

15092510.jpg
15091810.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah me too.

I'd get on without them though, to play some pre-PS1 era games on.

For me the crunch is that dpad, if that's decent enough I will probably get this thing

I think I'll wait for the RK3288 handhelds that will come out sometime this year.   Much better SOC.  Quad core ARM Cortex A17 and Mali T764

I do like the design of this though, for those looking for a phone with controls thats pocketable, its great

Surprisingly thin. I'm curious how to compares to the Much G2 in size. Don't think I'll be getting one of these unless they drop to the $100 range, especially since the specs aren't anything special.

I think it looks thinner than it is.

It's 13.25mm thickness, which is more than the G2 at 12.5mm

...and the G2 I wouldn't call thin, not compared to my HTC One anyway.

The G2 is pretty large in height too, and this W1 model is nearly a cm more in height. It will almost be poking out the top of my jean pocket :)

Still, if it plays games well, I'll go for it.

The 2GB RAM is nicer, that's what my HTC One is, and my G2 is half that only

How can you consider something with funny symbols on the action buttons? My mother doesn't know them so they must be confusing ;)

yeah I've got used to these elements buttons now, my G2 has them.

I've seen G2 models with the ABXY buttons too.

The bottom one isn't Earth, it's Sun

Think it's River, Mountain, Moon, Sun

That makes a little more sense.  The moon symbol isn't quite the same, but pretty close.  I went and did a little looking on my own, after you mentioned it, and didn't come across that version of the moon symbol.

But how many android games have support for physical controls? Is there some kind of standard way for DPAD+Joystick to be accessed under Android?

Quite a few, besides, these devices have great mapping software for that.

My phone has the KeyDIY app from Much, and it works great.

So those games that don't typically use physical controls, and therefore wouldn't get play time from me, now can do, and I can actually enjoy playing them.

The dpad and joystick/nub/slider thing also work as navigation too within the Android OS if you like, so can move the focus around the homescreens, but I personally don't use that and just use the touch input for navigation.

You can map the buttons to any part of the screen, then set the on-screen button overlays to transparent, but I guess there's still an issue for those games which use 'swipe' type gestures... you'd probably still need to do that on screen I'd imagine

I think it looks thinner than it is.

It's 13.25mm thickness, which is more than the G2 at 12.5mm

...and the G2 I wouldn't call thin, not compared to my HTC One anyway.

The G2 is pretty large in height too, and this W1 model is nearly a cm more in height. It will almost be poking out the top of my jean pocket :)

Still, if it plays games well, I'll go for it.

The 2GB RAM is nicer, that's what my HTC One is, and my G2 is half that only

Hm, so it's thicker than my Nexus 5, but at least it's thinner than my Xperia Play and my Vita.

Yeah.

I'm hoping that the device tapers, and that the depth measurement there is at the thickest point, in the middle. Like the recent Mac computers.

It looks like it is, from that top picture showing the back of it. That would be better as probably quite thin on the top/bottom ends.... unlike my G2 which is same thickness all the way along

Was reading this yesterday...

http://www.asiaott.com/2014/08/06-7768.html

“We will release our own internally-developed mobile device in the second half this year,” said Sun Dahu, Vice president at Snail Game, “The launch of MUCH W1 is a good test for us to have a deeper understanding about the market.” 

Hopefully they will listen to what is said about the previous MUCH devices and that one will have a perfect dpad and L1/2 R1/2 with a long battery life

Back