Snes Emu Button Mapping!

Hey I was thinking of a way to be able to use all the buttons of the snes (which makes 8 buttons + d-pad) even if the GP32 got only 6 buttons +d-pad. My idea is the following. Normally the buttons activated on the gp32 for snes are:

GP32---------------SNES
Start----------------Start
Select-------------Select
A---------------------A*
B---------------------B*
R-Trigger---------R-Trigger
D-pad-------------D-pad
*: Don't know if these are inverted, if A becomes B and B becomes A but you've probably already figured out!

So you'll notice that I did not put the GP32's L-Trigger assignement and that for a good reason. when you should push the left trigger on your GP32, you should get a new mapping of the key, as you maintain the L-Trigger pushed, A and B buttons of the Gp32 would become X and Y of the snes and the select button on th GP32 will become the missing L-Trigger of the snes.

So if the L-Trigger is pushed you should get a new mapping which should look like this:

GP32--------------SNES
Start--------------Start
Select-----------L-Trigger
A--------------------X
B--------------------Y
R-Trigger-------R-Trigger
D-pad------------D-pad

So to resume, the L-Trigger is not mapped to any buttons of the snes controller but it's a switch to activate the unmapped buttons!

L-Trigger is only a suggestion, i've just though this is the best button to do this as it will not disrupt using the d-pad or the A and B.

So here's my suggestion, this could be cool since the snes emu is progressing and soon games that need all the buttons will be playables.

Please feel free to make any comments, even if you think this idea is dumb (which I don't think it is!)

i think ull find that this idea has already been done

instead of the L trigger, it is select which cnhaged the mappings

Yes but select is not a very useful buttons to use for this thing since you have to use your thumb to press it, thus you won't be able to use easily A and B. That's why I think we should use L-Trigger. Because by using this buttons instead of select you keep both your thumbs for playing!

No, Select is better. It's Used less then the L and R buttons. And If you need to press the A or B button. You wouldn't change the mapping, cause that would lead to not pressing A of B but X or Y.

I think the L-Trigger makes much more sense.

The key mappings only change while the trigger is held down, and change back when the trigger is released.

If you had to press the select to do that, imagine the cramp you would get after a couple of minutes, let alone a couple of hours of play!

I don't think I could manage it even for a short time without laying the GP down on a surface if it was select...

some times ago I had an idea quite silitar with that...
I must say that would be better for all of us :)
maybe send a mail to yoyofr to ask him about Osnes0.4 ;)

see you :lol:

But you don`t have to hold down select, you just press and release it to swap between preset 1 and 2. I maped L as X, R as Y and Start as Start in preset 1 and and preset 2 just changes L to L, R to R and Start to Select.

I think this is the easiest way...

The left trigger sounds far more intuitive for the sort of games I play. Using it would become second nature in a matter of a few hours. In the ideal world both systems could be available :)

Back