SNES9xGP .97f RELEASED!!

Azure

Trust the recursion...
The new version has been released. You can download it here. Here's what's new:

New in version 0.97
- Even better speed, some more bug fixes, updated sound mixing
- Final version (really!)

Final notes:
- If things look corrupted, try restarting the gp32 -> but run corrupted program first.
- If things look frozen, then wait 5 minutes and see if it comes back.
- If things still don't work, then use fresh batteries.
- If it still don't work, thats too bad :)

- If any artists/game designers/programmers/musicians/translators out
there like original rpgs or shooters, or any kind of game and are
looking for a good team to join, send us a mail before October 15th
at joehol64@hotmail.com. If anyone wants more info, like conditions, etc.,
or is thinking about considering in the future such a project for
publishing, just let us know (reply before Oct. 15, of course!).

This is the final version of our program, and we thank everyone that has
supported us for the entire time.

We understand that there are other coders working on similar projects,
and we wish them good luck.

We hope you like our program! We worked extremely hard.

--Snes9xGP Team

New in version 0.96
- Better speed, faster and clearer sound, new options, and a few bug fixes.
- final version (hey, we can't do this for eternity!)
- not released

I agree. I knew not to expect full speed or anything, but I guess it would be ok for RPG's or non action types.

Games I tried were:

Mario All Stars
Actraiser
Pilotwings
Contra 3

Mario was pretty playable as was Contra. Actraiser was ok. Pilotwings actually seemed faster on the last version. I was literally doing a frame every 5-10 seconds.

I admire the great effort to get a SNES emulator, but something tells me that it can't be done with the GP32's speed. :unsure:

k_man316 posted on Aug 29 2003 said:
I agree. I knew not to expect full speed or anything, but I guess it would be ok for RPG's or non action types.

Games I tried were:

Mario All Stars
Actraiser
Pilotwings
Contra 3

Mario was pretty playable as was Contra. Actraiser was ok. Pilotwings actually seemed faster on the last version. I was literally doing a frame every 5-10 seconds.

I admire the great effort to get a SNES emulator, but something tells me that it can't be done with the GP32's speed. :unsure:
it can be done with the GP32's speed, you just need a good programmer, like yoyofr :)

Last edited by a moderator:
k_man316 posted on Aug 30 2003 said:
That's only if the emulator is ported and not optimized enough.. well ok, maybe optimizing a port of a PC SNES emu enough to get full speed and sound (at 0 frameskip) WOULD be farfetched, but if someone actually written the entire thing from scratch then here's hoping for high speed SNES emu in the future sometime.

But anyhow, I tried this emu on TMNT 4 (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time) and it ran at full speed with no sound and frameskip 5-6, but with sound it wasnt fast enough to me, and way too choppy at the much higher frameskip settings

I appreciate the author's work too.. It's a real shame no source code was released though, someone may had actually taken it one step further for the better... :(

Azure posted on Aug 30 2003 said:
it can be done with the gp32 speed, you just need a good programmer, like yoyofr :)

Yup :) Still, being able to pull it off from a direct port of some PC emulator is still quite hard considering how such a long way the author of this emu has went to get it up to it's current speed, but it isnt impossible. Still, I think it should be from scratch if anyone had the time, skill and patience to do it.. but I'm no coder <_<

He said "We understand that there are other coders working on similar projects,
and we wish them good luck." Who is he talking about? Does anybody what snes emus are in development?

I think he meant "similar" in terms of emulation in general, not SNES emulation.. like the forthcoming Genesis emulators and Rlyeh's lineup of emulators which will be revealed in beta forms at the British Meet-up anyway... (Wish I could go... :()

This sucks. The emulator isn't as fast I hoped with sound, and yoyofr isn't going to work on a snes emulator. Are we going to be stuck with SNES Emu and Snes9xGP?

Well I'm starting college on Monday, and I've taken a course to program (C++), maybe if i'm experienced enough I could code an emulator, although I know nothing about coding emulators right now... :blink: :unsure:

GP32 Kirby posted on Aug 29 2003 said:
Well I'm starting college on Monday, and I've taken a course to program (C++), maybe if i'm experienced enough I could code an emulator, although I know nothing about coding emulators right now... :blink: :unsure:
It'd be great if you worked on a snes emu. Then you could be open to suggestions and keep us notified on your progress on coding the emu.

Good Luck in College!

A better idea would be to get more than 1 coder get a few people to have a sourceforge stuff and they can continue to update it so 1 person works on sound etc other on video other on the actually core.

If sound and the core were to have c++ replaced with ASM i think it might actually run quite good with sound on all games.

But still if only snes9x had a GNU licence then he would have to release the source :(

Maybe the guy from nestergp might work on a snes emu? (sorry i forgot your name :()

:ph34r:

ack ive not got my gp32 on me atm, its a sad sad shame if its not going to be very quick, with all those e-mails he sent you azure, i was expecting something ALOT better.

i admire the work he put in, but just to leave the program there. and not release the source is a real shame for the gp32community, if one of the more experieced programmers out there would have been able to pick this up it might have blown some new life in the project.

i beg of the snes9x team to release the source for the greater good of the community.

ok thats my 2 cents.

They did a great job, no matter how fast the emu is.

I am still sure that it is possible to achive a full speed SNES emu:

If 'you' can code the main core units of SNES in pure ASM
How many percent are is ASM?

If 'you' keep the sound emulation to a minimum, that means to 'downgrade' some effect the SNES sound unit can do (some pretty neat effects and music), because you need extra CPUtime for additional emu like hardware transparency and layers any other ported to platform can do on it own...

Azure posted on Aug 30 2003 said:
Not as fast as I hoped. Not much of a speed improvement IMO.
I have noticed no improvement whatsoever. :angry:

I hate to say I told you so but "I TOLD YOU SO"
A complete waste of time IMO !

Just tried it - Zombies Ate My Neighbours was slightly faster with sound. Then I tried it with Chrono Trigger, and even at frameskip 7+ it was as slow as a dog. And then it crashed my GP32 and erased my SMC. So, yeah, that was worth the wait. Won't be using thatagain.

I add my voice to the chorus for a proper SNES emulator.

seems to have just made it into 'playable' for me. sf2turbo has better sound, marioworld better sound, dragonquest is playable now. worth the wait, i reckon. shame there's not going to be any more... what's he working on next? anybody know?

Back