So Is There An Internal Mic Or Not?

Wolfsclaw

can't be longer than 2 months right?
Website
Visit site
We were promised all the time to have an included microphone, but haven't really heard anything besides it. Now I get to read that there is no included mic? Is that right?

I'd love to make some audio notes on my future Pandora without additional hardware, now if please someone could help me out here if we have one or not...

Answer 1: There is an internal mike. He is just 5mm tall, and listens to everything that you say and types it in on his own tiny internal keyboard. If you ever want to refer to it, he will read it back to you.

Answer 2: There is an internal mic:
Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset
from: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=6&lang=en

paddy said:
the mic is there but we need sound recorder or something to test it.
does the Angstrom OS has some kind of Audio recorder everyone knows from Windows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, with "included" i meant, of course, built-in, internal :) (english is not my mother tongue...)

Good to hear that it's there. I'm hoping there'll be some use for it soon.

Presumably the mic is located next to the right-hand-side lightpipe?
Been wondering what that hole was all about.

There's a program in the firmware called 'aplay' which can play back wav etc, and 'arecord' to capture.

I'll see if I can get it to do anything.

Edit:

Not sure how it works and don't have time to figure it out right now. Maybe you guys have a better idea than me?

(english is not my mother tongue...)

who else is getting pissed of with these people, who speak perfect second language and then rub it in your face
(its against my religion to learn another language, its about time theres a world language, dont care which one)

who else is getting pissed of with these people, who speak perfect second language and then rub it in your face

err! nobody?, maybe you should lay off the espresso :unsure:

seriously, you don't care what language the world speaks, but when they try to use English it "pisses you off" ?

weird!

There is a microphone:

Code:
torpor-pandora:/media/mmcblk1p1/pandora/hak/sfxr$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: omap3pandora [omap3pandora], device 0: HiFi Out twl4030-I2S-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: omap3pandora [omap3pandora], device 1: Line/Mic In twl4030-I2S-1 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

emcp said:
(its against my religion to learn another language, its about time theres a world language, dont care which one)
What religion bans learning a second language? :blink:

emcp said:
(english is not my mother tongue...)

Impossible. Ineluctable barriers to communication will always permit linguistic drift in any population larger than a village.

Learning other languages isn't that hard, it just takes a bit of time, immersion, and willingness to sound like an idiot. So really, no drawbacks for some of us.

Aninhumer said:
emcp said:
Wasn't there this story of the Tower of Babel?

Kicker said:
Impossible. Ineluctable barriers to communication will always permit linguistic drift in any population larger than a village.
I think the internet is going a long way to eliminating most barriers to communication.
Perhaps we'll never be in a situation where any one person on the planet can speak to any other, but I think it's possible to at least get a majority of people to that state.
And I think it's pretty clear that it's possible to maintain a mostly consistent language within a country, which is significantly larger than a village.

Am I misinterpreting you?
EDIT2: Only just noticed the irony of this question :lol:

Vlynndar said:
Aninhumer said:
Wasn't there this story of the Tower of Babel?
Ah yes the one where everyone's working together happily and god isn't invited so he has a tantrum and squashes their sandcastle. :rolleyes:

I can't believe this thread derailed so quickly (and I had nothing to do with it) !!

Kicker said:
Impossible.  Ineluctable barriers to communication will always permit linguistic drift in any population larger than a village.

Learning other languages isn't that hard, it just takes a bit of time, immersion, and willingness to sound like an idiot.  So really, no drawbacks for some of us.
why your using big wurds to confuz me

atomicthumbs said:
Kicker said:
Impossible.  Ineluctable barriers to communication will always permit linguistic drift in any population larger than a village.

Learning other languages isn't that hard, it just takes a bit of time, immersion, and willingness to sound like an idiot.  So really, no drawbacks for some of us.
why your using big wurds to confuz me

Well I learnt a new word today: 'ineluctable - inescapable, inevitable'.

Not often I see a new word. Cheers matey.

You can't fool me! I've read bad sci-fi novels! In the future everyone speaks the same language called "Standard" which is just like American English except for about three words that are different.

Back