So, What Must I Buy For A Good Gp2x Experience?

javaguy

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Im probably going to get a GP2x in the very near future, i.e saturday and was wondering what the essential accesories for it were. I would probably get it from the gp2x.co.uk site (the firmware 3.0 is okay?) and they offer some accesories to buy as well. Im on quite a limited budget here so lets keep things cheap eh :)

okay, so from what I have been reading, I will probably be needing some decent rechargable batteries. I believe I have an AA charger lying around somewhere. Should I get a fast charger? I've heard things somewhere about fast chargers being battery death. Oh, does anyone know of a UK power adapter?

Also, Im imagining an SD card is pretty essential? is this true? I wont (probably) be doing any SNES etc emulation, because though I would probably ignored the legality aspects if the game wasnt really under release, but with the Wii and virtual console it just seems wrong.. I dont have any problems with spectrum games though :D, er, anyway. I have seen bad things about the GP2X and USB, but I am reluctant to fork out for a card reader as well. This is a long shot, but I have a printer with a bunch of card readers, there is no way to get them to directly interface with a PC? its an epson 6000 series printer. heh, well, its worth a try :)

Another thing that concerns me is movie playback. I can imagine that being a lot of fun, but how is it? I heard complaints about skipping and generally poor playback... is this true?

Well, I think that's about it. Thanks everyone!, I know I have asked a lot :) but I look forward to doing some SDL developing and, of course, Spectrum game playing, in the future! :D

~Java gp32_console

Hi there...

An SD Card is pretty much essential (and for firmware 3.0 it's 100% essential), though luckily you can find these dirt cheap these days :) A card reader isn't necessarily essential, though it is a good idea (and they also can be found for dirt cheap) Don't know about the printer.

Movie playback has been excellent from firmware 2.1 onward as far as I can tell, some movies with high bitrates or weird encodings should be re-encoded but other than that you should be fine.

I use my GP2X with a set of 4x2500MaH batteries acquired for around $5, and they behave very well... I have a pretty generic charger (5-hour panasonic something-or-other).

thanks Mudi!

one other thing, when I look at the gp2x.co.uk website it says that the GP2X is 125 quid. However in the shopping trolley its price goes down to about 100 quid. Nice, but does this mean I have not added the Value pack? I clicked the appropriate link, I am sure.

oh, is payback any good ? :p

Payback's great...if you like GTA.

Some printer SD card readers can interface directly with the PC, its what I used for a long time (my new laptop has a built-in card reader).

The value pack in my opinion isn't really worth the extra £.

I've used a fast charger on the same set of batteries for years and they didn't die.

Javaguy posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:06 PM said:
thanks Mudi!

one other thing, when I look at the gp2x.co.uk website it says that the GP2X is 125 quid. However in the shopping trolley its price goes down to about 100 quid. Nice, but does this mean I have not added the Value pack? I clicked the appropriate link, I am sure.

Cant remember how it adds up but does total £125, payback is great fun!
MAy i also suggest 7dayshop.com for batteries and a sd card (1gb sd is about £6!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
kfc v lot posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:20 PM said:
Javaguy posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:06 PM said:
thanks Mudi!

Cant remember how it adds up but does total £125, payback is great fun!
MAy i also suggest 7dayshop.com for batteries and a sd card (1gb sd is about £6!!)

That'll be good old VAT and postage when you go to checkout....

ha, right.

The gp2x site ATM seems to be down, but I found gp2x.de, from a link somewhere, and they seem to offer this rather nice developer package:
http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php?c...9mvpb49ab9fia94

It seems to be the basics needed to get out of the box use, which is awesome. The only concern I have is delivery. Im outside germany and according to their site and a currency converter, it will be about £5... how long would it take? If I ordered today, a great time would be sometime early next week... is this possible?

heh, sorry to keep asking questions :)
thanks!

Goob posted on Apr 1 2007 at 09:02 AM said:
Gaeryc posted on Apr 1 2007 at 08:50 AM said:
Faraz Parsa posted on Mar 30 2007 at 05:01 AM said:
Doesn't seem to be the best deal ATM. Here's a good one:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-1rsb.html
I paid that much for my gp2x, and it wasn't even value pack :(
I wouldn't be too sad, the price of computer equipment almost always falls over time.
Amen to that, how long do we have to wait until they drop?! :angry:

Back