Software That Should Be Installed By Default

Spirit

I know "should" is a strong word, but I was flabbergasted that some programs were not installed by default:

Definitely missing:
screen
rsync

I don't see why they should not be installed:
htop
mc

Tiny and possibly very useful:
xev

Considering that the pandora is a fullblown mini-pc (which might get lost or used in unsafe networks) tools that support safe internet and data handling would be a good idea too, for example VPN (openvpn? vpnc?) and GnuPG.

I don't know if these ones are already in, but they'd be useful to have them in the core.

most
beep
vim, vim-gtk
telnet, openssh-server, rdesktop, xtightvncviewer
unp, unrar, unzip, p7zip
bchunk
parted, mtools, dosfstools, e2fsprogs, ntfsprogs ...
lame, vorbis-tools, flac
powertop
sane
elinks, youtube-dl

VRAndy said:
I miss fortune.
Heheh, me too. :lol:

I never did get around to adding more to my Pandora-themed fortune file, come to think of it, though I've got a great (and ever-growing) one filled with classic video game quotes, from stuff that can be played on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of those
joseluisjazz said:
vim
telnet, openssh-server, rdesktop, xtightvncviewer
unzip
parted, dosfstools, e2fsprogs
lame, vorbis-tools, flac
powertop
sane
elinks
are available in the angstrom repos, the others would need to get ported first.

To be honest, I do not think that things like bchunk, lame, vorbis-tools, flac, sane, openssh-server are useful additions to the stock installation. Not many people will use them.

For youtube downloading you should be able to use http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/

Sadly rar and 7z are not available (yet). aTC ported 7za, give him a nudge in IRC if you need it.

Yeah, I miss the manpages. Can't believe they would have taken much space.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha I am a complete linux noob but before I got my pandora I did some research and simple getting started in linux tutorials so man was one of the first things I tried :D without result :p

hope I will become more linux savvy soon :)

Back