[SOLVED] Bible App

Kosmos

Ok, a simple request. I do not see a single Bible App.

Opinions aside....

I am looking for someone to port Xiphos (a gnome-sword variant).

I am putting up a bounty and want to go along and duplicate the process myself as a learning tool in porting and so I can maintain future updates while understanding the process.

I guess that I will take Gruso's advice in a second thread, and start looking to port this myself, with help from those who can answer my questions along the way regarding the porting of Xiphos. both as a learning experience for me in porting and to give something to the community that there ARE some people who would like to use one.

The Pandora is the PDA I dreamed of to replace my Libretto and HP200. I currently must run Qemu + Win3.1 to get a workable Bible app.

Part of the reason I bought a Pandora was to go Linux more often and transition away from Windows.

Xiphos is an update of Gnome-Sword. It is a Library Engine with many features for study and research of Biblical texts.

And now available as a PND in the repo:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xiphos-4085

Last edited by a moderator:
but... there's really the need of a dedicated app ? Why not using a generic ebook reader app, and then open the Bible with it ?

Does Pandora have an ebook reader?

One was intended for the rebirth compo but not submitted I believe but I dont think Pandora can open .mobi or .epub files at present which means conversion, or using .pdf or comic book .cbr .cbz for the time being.

Does the Bible come in Comic formats?

I know the 9/11 Commission Report does.

I'd forgotten about FBReader cheers :)

Quite good once you mess with a few of its options/key shortcuts.

Couldn't find its documentation (must be just called 'readme'), so heres a link to a visual guide to all its options http://www.fbreader.org/content/documentation/alan

Sadly it lacks any Zoom or Magnifying feature, so books with scanned FOIA documents or similar, are unreadable on the Pandoras small screen. Otherwise its good and it at least auto bookmarks its position over multiple titles etc.

I agree their must be lots of other features to a dedicated Bible reader though. I'd +1 the porting of something like that.

I'll be using that Satanic Linux to re-install Slackware cheers :) (http://ubuntusatanic...screenshots.php)

....and the comments page alone is hilarious for its religious war.

P.S No offence was intended toward my Pastafarian Brothers, so I apologise if you got your fusilli in a twist when I mispoke of The Prophet Henderson (Pasta be upon his plate) divine revealing and may the noodley appendages touch your every moment, whilst only beer volcanoes cheer the Pandora project along and at least we have strippers, whilst the poor Jihadists are going to look rather perplexed with their '72 White Raisins of Crystal Clarity' according to the translation errors covered by Ibn Warraq in 'Virgins? What Virgins?'. RAmen

Sadly it lacks any Zoom or Magnifying feature, so books with scanned FOIA documents or similar, are unreadable on the Pandoras small screen. Otherwise its good and it at least auto bookmarks its position over multiple titles etc.

It's a very old version, their active development is for Android, but in their site there's this

We will resume active development for more platforms soon.

I don't use them, but I know there's more to bible apps than just reading the bible. Whilst an ereader is a nice thing to have, it's not really what the OP is asking for.

Thank you. true. A simple reader or html version does not have the search functions, bookmarking, and notes features needed. And unlike other generic religious books, most people who read the Bible do a bit mre than just read it as a book and is why those programs contain other advance features.

Xiphos is also a good choice.

so, gnome-sword, xiphos, or bible-time. And I would help support this any way I could as I see it as a very useful project for some of us.

Please?! I am very serious.

Guys, I'm noticing some subtle hints of "My deity is better than your deity", in here... ;) Tread carefully, please. It's not the time or the place.

so, gnome-sword, xiphos, or bible-time. And I would help support this any way I could as I see it as a very useful project for some of us.

Please?! I am very serious.
I understand you. But as you can see religion doesnt make unanimity here and saying "opinion apart" doesnt make it happen.

As it havent happened yet, I'm betting no dev is interested in doing so. Your best bet is to do it yourself ;)

Grab a toochain / get the source / build it / package it (use irc channel for support)

Not here, just a simple request for one of the three top Bible apps and people are free to load any of the free modules of their choice onto it. My statement above was one of experience and not presupposition; just a fact that Some texts need just a reader and others do not. We need a study app! And any of the three mention work for any denomination.

Please! Others are free to request the app of their choice in a new topic but this one was a specific request for someone to please port on of the Bible Apps. I might not visit certain other topics and that is my choice there and theirs - here.

So, anyone in a position to port one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back