[SOLVED] Hotfix 4: Problem Installing New Kernel, And Now It Won't

Prometheus

I installed Hotfix 4 earlier, and it mostly went well. However, upon completion I was informed that the new kernel was not installed due to a checksum error. The same note on the completion dialogue-box also told me that I should check my SD Card and re-copy the PND over in order to resolve this.

So, I checked my SD Card, deleted the entry in the appdata folder that was left by the updater, removed the PND, and re-copied the PND over. However, the PND's icon no longer shows up on my desktop, and trying to execute it via the file manager also does nothing.

I tried removing and re-copying the PND twice more, then I tried re-downloading it, and now I've also tried reformatting the card afresh as well, and nothing is working. I cannot get Hotfix 4 to even appear again, let alone run.

I can't even seem to find any log-files or other useful information that may help me out.

Has anyone else come across this? If so, where am I going wrong?

If only the kernel was failing, you can install it manually.

Grab the latest kernel here.

Put it onto the root of your SD Card.

Open up a terminal and cd to your SD-Card (i.e. if your SD Card is named pandora:
cd /media/pandora/ )

Type:
Code:
sudo rm /boot/uImage.old
sudo mv /boot/uImage /boot/uImage.old
sudo cp uImage /boot/
md5sum /boot/uImage

If the output then is:
Code:
c53a33cae520f3c4dc5f558d35602225  uImage

Then the new kernel is correctly installed.
If not, then do the following (otherwise, your system will not be able to boot anymore!):

Code:
sudo rm /boot/uImage
sudo mv /boot/uImage.old /boot/uImage

Let me know if this works. If not, you can try to boot from SD Card to flash.

Back