[SOLVED] How do I boot Kernel 3.2 off the SD, rather than kernel 2.6?

ssokolow

I'm running my OS off SD to save wear on the NAND and simplify backups and I've updated to SuperZaxxon 1.52 but it still boots kernel 2.6.

I'm assuming this is caused by some detail the guide I followed omitted. How do I set up my boot configuration to launch the 3.2 kernel instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to flash the NAND in order to upgrade the bootloader.

--Edit:

Mmm you may also first try to change your autoboot.txt to use /boot/uImage-3

That's a bummer. I'm stuck on kernel 2.6 too. Is there a way to upgrade the bootloader without flashing, as my right-shoulder button doesn't work (ever since I dropped it, funnily enough). I vaguely remember that the bootloader is in ROM, so I'm guessing I might be SOL.

I think that's possible to write the bootloader while running from SD, but i don't know how :/.

I'm running my OS off SD to save wear on the NAND and simplify backups and I've updated to SuperZaxxon 1.52 but it still boots kernel 2.6.
You need to edit (auto)boot.txt in root of your SD, change /boot/uImage to /boot/uImage-3 in that file and add mmc_core.removable=0 for suspend to work properly. See:

http://pandorawiki.o...p_your_boot.txt

That's a bummer. I'm stuck on kernel 2.6 too. Is there a way to upgrade the bootloader without flashing, as my right-shoulder button doesn't work (ever since I dropped it, funnily enough). I vaguely remember that the bootloader is in ROM, so I'm guessing I might be SOL.
Download full reflash archive and extract all files to root of spare SD. If you don't want to reflash NAND rootfs, delete rootfs.img, but I recommend leaving it. Create a file named autoboot.txt in root of the same SD with this content:

Code:
fatload mmc1 0 0x82000000 boot.scr

source 0x82000000

delete autoboot.txt when done, or else it will keep reflashing each boot.

Thanks. That did the trick. I don't remember which guide I was following, but it either didn't mention uImage-3 or did a very poor job of drawing attention to it.

Back