Solving the cursed ncurses issue

Dave18

I run the OS from sdcard so I can install package such as dev tools etc, but always live in fear of a package having a ncurses dependency that would trash the os (mainly by breaking xcfe-terminal it seems). I know the repository is unstable but it was driving me mad.

Anyway, after a lot of trial and error and re-installing of OS I think I've found a way to fix the issue.

Here is what I did using a clean installation of HF7b1, but should work with HF6 too - usual disclaimers apply, don't come crying to me if you trash anything.

First - and this is completely optional - I changed the opkg feeds as described here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6622-angstrom-repo-mirrored/ although I chose us.feeds rather than feeds as it seemed even quicker.

Then, in a terminal:

sudo bash

opkg update (if this fails with wget return codes just rerun)

--from this point on do not close the terminal window!!!!

opkg remove ncurses --force-depends

opkg remove xfce-terminal --force-depends

opkg remove bash --force-depends

opkg remove xterm --force-depends

opkg install libncurses5

opkg install xfce-terminal

opkg install bash

opkg install xterm

--you are now safe to close the terminal window if you want or install more packages without fear of ncurses killing your OS.

I jumped from here to step 7 in Torpor's Way of installing dev tools which can be found here http://pandorawiki.org/Compile_directly_on_the_Pandora (but skipped step 8 as it wasn't needed)

If you install libgles-omap3-dev make sure you use the --nodeps option otherwise the dependencies will kill the sgx powervr driver.

I have been installing many packages since doing this fix and the os is still running fine. I'm not sure whether you need to remove and reinstall bash and xterm as well as xfce-terminal but I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and not retest anymore.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
"That Maxwell curse is..."

why dont You use Freamon's Dev Tools [or as alternative - CLI Love] ?

Because I find them a faff (no offence, just my personal view). Last time I tried CLI-Love and went into a source directory and typed cmake and the command wasn't found. Having the OS on sdcard means a quick opkg install cmake and it's there whenever I need it.

Probably me just not reading the instructions to CLI-Love properly.

My OS now has cmake, automake, svn, git, mercurial, openal, alure and many more which means I don't have as many dependency issues when trying to port stuff, only problem is people keep beating me to it! :D

Because I find them a faff (no offence, just my personal view). Last time I tried CLI-Love and went into a source directory and typed cmake and the command wasn't found. Having the OS on sdcard means a quick opkg install cmake and it's there whenever I need it.

Probably me just not reading the instructions to CLI-Love properly.

My OS now has cmake, automake, svn, git, mercurial, openal, alure and many more which means I don't have as many dependency issues when trying to port stuff, only problem is people keep beating me to it! :D

did You type "setdev" before executing cmake? like in

Last edited:
No didn't try setdev, I'm not one for reading instructions. Very excited about the 8 bit dev tools but why no spectrum? Z80 was the processor of the decade. I agree there are several ways to do things and I have cli love when using nand but for those who want a fully functional OS this is another option. Typed from phone so ignore typos. Dave

Thanks for this. I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to compile and install gcc from source using the cdevtools pnd for a while now. Not having much experience compiling software, I want a standard/vanilla dev environment to build up my experience. So I'll definately give this a go as an alternative to get gcc installed on my Pandora.

I wonder why you're using that akward method of making / compiling stuff for OP? The best method is using cross-compiling on PC, and eventuyally adding a dev toolchain in OP when somethings will not work on Cross-Compiling [there are some exeptions, that could be overridden, but sometimes its quicker to compile on real OP..]

I wonder why you're using that akward method of making / compiling stuff for OP?

Not having much experience compiling software...

I'm pretty sure ./compile && make && sudo make install is a damned sight easier than setting up a cross compiler. Not everyone is an expert, I'm sure you were a beginner too once. It's not very useful doing stuff when you're being drip-fed instructions and don't understand the ins and outs of what's happening. I want to be able to learn from the beginning, compiling on the Pandora using gcc is the first step, Hello World if you will.

i dont mean to be unpolite :) .

I'll give you a hint for cross compiling: [i was using it a lot, and it was helpfull]

http://www.gp32x.de...58490-yactfeau/

[hurry, hurry , before gp32x.de domain vanish from face of earth]

Back