Some Good Linux Games.

Kings

Website
www.visualcatastrophe.com
I was a little disappointed with the GP2X(F100&F200) because I couldn't play some of the more advanced Linux games. With the Pandora running the high end OMAP3530 SoC, I hope to see some brand new games that break in the system. But there are some favorites that I'm looking forward to:

Battle for Wesnoth (GP2X port was more proof of concept than anything)
Cube 1
Sauerbraten(Cube 2)
Xmoto
BZFlag
Empty Clip
Atomic Tanks
Tux Racer
Armagetron
Neverball

How possible would it be to port any of these games? I know some people have already stepped forward and said they would port a few. And I'm interested in helping if I can!

It's also worth noting that some of these games have good communities that might also want to help and might lead to more interest in the Pandora.

armagetron on the pandora would be awesome, its currently my most played game, im playing it now i dont sleep anymore lol

im not familiar with bzflag, empty clip and atomic tanks so i cant predict how well they will perform on the pandora. but the others i see no problem with (though im no expert) i can run them all on my eee pc with real problem

I'd liike to see Neverball ported to the Pandora. It's similiar (sorta) to Marble Madness, but in 3-d.
And a plethora of card/board games would be nice (mahjong, chess, shisen-sho, a solitaire suite..). I know, I know.. Lame, right? Who would want to pass time playing stupid old solitaire when you could be playing FFVII or GT2?
Oooh, I see the OP said Neverball already. Well, X2. Now my post seems redundant, but I'm going through with it anyways.
MUUUUUUWAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAH

if someone asks nicely then perhaps they could get the source for Savage, Pandora just manage the requirements but they could be a bit smaller with smaller textures etc, it would be a port owned by them and not open source probably but still, would be really fun to see and play :)

Also I would like to see Glest ported, might not be the best game to play on Pandora but still just to see it would be fun :)

Holokauston said:
if someone asks nicely then perhaps they could get the source for Savage, Pandora just manage the requirements but they could be a bit smaller with smaller textures etc, it would be a port owned by them and not open source probably but still, would be really fun to see and play :)
http://www.newerth.com/?id=downloads&o...age1-source.zip

Apparently, S2Games has allowed the game source to be released. Not wholly sure what license it's under though or if we could use it to make a Pandora version or not- but it's worth checking into.

Last edited by a moderator:
warzone 2100

homeworld

total annihilation

doom gl

quake

would be nice, after all they where commercial games and have plenty of content (plus some have level editors so "sequels" could be made) :D

Svartalf said:
Holokauston said:
http://www.newerth.com/?id=downloads&o...age1-source.zip

Apparently, S2Games has allowed the game source to be released. Not wholly sure what license it's under though or if we could use it to make a Pandora version or not- but it's worth checking into.

Oh didn't know that, cool that would be great :D

hobbyman said:
warzone 2100

Yeah, that might be a good match for the Pandora.

http://wz2100.net/

I'll have to play it on my EeePc when I get a minute, see how it fares on a 800x480 screen. I think it should be good, the graphics seem a bit small at 1280x1024 when I run it on my Windows box.

hobbyman said:
warzone 2100

homeworld

total annihilation

doom gl

quake

would be nice, after all they where commercial games and have plenty of content (plus some have level editors so "sequels" could be made) :D
DarkPlaces :D

Lately I've been playing S.C.O.U.R.G.E. It may not be mature but it seems quite playable. The only catch I can see is that the data files seem rather large for a handheld game.

someone might ask the guys at grubbygames for pandora-ports of their professor fizzwizzle-saga. The games might be made for children, but I'd like to let my nephew play on my pandora once anyway and still like those games a lot.

Since I'm engaged in SuperTuxKart, I'd love to see a port of it on the pandora. It should be pretty easy to port, since it has very few dependencies and we decided to switch to irrlicht probably for the next major release.

PokerTH is one of this candidates I'd like very very much on the pandora. It should need some adjustments on the gui, since it is now pretty much unplayable on <1280x1024. Having a texas holdem-game with singleplayer and a internetlobby, would be awesome.

openastromenace is another great open source game. It has a pretty complicated while young history and is just so well polished and addictive, it's an absolute must.

Playing teewars on the pandora should be a great experience. Don't know if it has joypad support yet, so that might be needed to implement or simulated with qjoypad someway.

Wormux is another funny linux game that would be worth to port. Network gaming is integrated well, so having a friend with a pandora could end up in endless killing ;)

Now a simple list of other great linux games that should work fine on the pandora:

OpenArena
Tremulous
BillardGL
Glest/Dominians
FishFilletsNG
Pingus
Supertux
BattleTanks
GridWars (not open source)
lugaru (not open source)
boswars
globulation
alienarena
phun (not open source yet, probably someday)
nexuiz

conso said:
someone might ask the guys at grubbygames for pandora-ports of their professor fizzwizzle-saga. The games might be made for children, but I'd like to let my nephew play on my pandora once anyway and still like those games a lot.

Someone did ask for a gp2x version in their forum, the problem for them is that resizing the fonts for the vertical resolution would be too much work. I imagine the same argument holds for pandora.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask as now there would be two console systems to convert the images for :) .

Frets on fire + 2 guitar controllers + pandora + usb hub + tv out = Party fun

or

Beatmania + 2 dance mats + usb hub + pandora + tv out = party fun

:)

X-com: ufo

Freeciv
Freecol

scorched 3d
any liero clone

alien arena
openarena