Some Issues With My Gp2x.

Burbruee

Website
Visit site
Hello,

I haven't been using my GP2X much at all lately although I have wanted to.
The problem has been the stick, it wouldn't register any left movements at all, but without the "hat" it would work. But this can be _really_ painful playing without the cap, making you wear gloves whenever you touch your F-100. <_<

Anyway, just yesterday I took a closer look at the cap, and it appears as if the top were touching the case of the gp2x. So either the stick needed to be raised, or the surface on the 2x needed to be sandpapered down a bit.
I chose the last option as I didn't have a way of raising the stick at the moment. So now lefts works, yay. :)

However, one problem still exists with the stick, and that is that the joystick-cap keeps falling off. If I turn the GP2X over the cap will fall to the ground. This is very bad if you were to take your 2X with you somewhere, the risk of losing the cap after it falls off is rather big. Also some times after I'm done playing and remove my thumb from the stick the cap comes with my thumb. :ph34r:

If was looking for a way to make the cap stay on the GP2X and not on my thumb/fall to the floor.
I would not ever want to glue it in case it needs to be replaced.

Now for the second issue, I'm only able to use my GP2X at my home with the adapter because batteries don't work anymore = no portability. :(
I've searched around and found some topics about this matter and as I've understood it, there is a switch on the inside that may be stuck? I've already tried bending the metal clips where you insert your batteries but it did not help. Tested fresh rechargable batteries that always worked before.

I don't have a screwdriver to open my GP2X up yet, but will try to get my hands on one maybe today or tomorrow. High quality non-blurry pictures of what I need to look for would greatly help. :)
Also, anything I should think of when disassembling the GP2X that I should be extra careful with?

Third issue, just installed GMenu2X, and it's great! :)
Added squidgesnes and using the built-in selector of GMenu to get a list of games, works fine.
But when I get in-game and try to change the render (middle-volume + Right Trigger) Squidgesnes crashes back to GMenu2X. However, if I take the long way around and go into settings and change render from there, it works. :huh:
Same thing seems to happen even if use the default gp2xmenu.

This has worked fine before, but now it crashes all games, using 0.396. (latest version, right?)
I'd rather use squidgesnes than pocketsnes becuase you can change render and enable/disable different layers on the fly plus supports commandline so you can use GMenu2X selector. Star Ocean is my only reason right now for pocketsnes. :p

Any ideas of why shortcut won't work but going through the settings do?

Oh, just one last thing, do you know of a pack with screenshots for different emulators such as snes for use with GMenu2X? Or the best possible ways of making screenshots yourself without them looking like crap on the GP2X? I googled some pictures for different games last night, then used Photoshop to resize then to 160 width, constrain proportions with bicubic resizing but they look _really_ bad on the GP2X. If there is a pack already that I just need to rename the files that would be great.

EDIT: Here's some pictures to show how bad they look after rezising to 160 for GMenu2X.

Original:
nhl942ue2.gif
harvestmoon2oq1.gif

Rezised
nhl94ju3.png
harvestmoonjm4.png

As you can see, when there's text on the screen it looks horrible, and the blue ice on NHL looks really bad as well.

Sorry for all the text, hope I can get some help.
Thanks. :)

Have you tried shoving a small piece of paper inside the stick? should give it a tighter fit, and raise it above the unit a little. Also about the *power* problem, have you tried plugging in the AC when you have batteries inserted? Plugin the lead in and out a few times while batteries are inserted might trip the switch.

As for the rest, sorry, can't help.

Burbruee said:
Oh, just one last thing, do you know of a pack with screenshots for different emulators such as snes for use with GMenu2X? Or the best possible ways of making screenshots yourself without them looking like crap on the GP2X? I googled some pictures for different games last night, then used Photoshop to resize then to 160 width, constrain proportions with bicubic resizing but they look _really_ bad on the GP2X. If there is a pack already that I just need to rename the files that would be great.
I'm not aware of such screenshot packs, other than those that Capex, FEMAME, & Rage2x utilize.

You should try changing some of the settings in Photoshop to make the resizing look much better, or use a different resizing tool instead.

Here are the resized screenshots that I made using PIXresizer (freeware) with the original screenshots you posted:

nhl942ue2160x128wu2.png
harvestmoon2oq1160x139cl1.png

They look much better, and the texts are much more readable. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, great. But the biggest problem is yet to be solved as I haven't had a chance to open my unit yet.

Is it a common problem that batteries stop working completely with the GP2X? And that finding the switch will solve the issue?
Where is the switch located more exactly and how is it supposed to look for the unit to accept batteries again?

Back