Some Screenshots from Pyra OS?

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
I don't have a Pandora so I can't try it out andI don't know how it looks like (Pyra OS) and what can be run on it. Can somebody post some screenshots here?

Rather than Debian, you'll probably want to look more at XFCE, which will probably be the default window manager

Okay straight from the Devboard (via VNC)... It's pretty dull looking right now... 

PyraOS_Screen.png

Some posts of what can be done are scattered in this thread: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17295-what-would-you-like-to-see//URL]

Edit: although you may want to skip to at least page 5 of that thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, all the pictures showing the devboard at the Gamescom show the current OS status ;)

Well, all the pictures showing the devboard at the Gamescom show the current OS status ;)
That is not enough for a Pyra-fan like me! :)
EDIT : At least I'm using Debian on desktop so I have an idea about what's possible.

Reactions: rSl
^ Not a bad idea, but switching a few icons around is trivial compared to making all the hardware work properly.

If someones feeling bored, a Pyra-themed desktop background would be nice, too.

I'm actualy interested in how much the Pyra OS Debian will be optimized for the usage and the Needs of the Pyra. So will it be made "lighter" to  eliminate overhead like unneeded programs and functions? How much must be coded new and included to make it work as good as possible on the mobile Handheld? Will it support all functions the Pyra may provide?

I'm actualy interested in how much the Pyra OS Debian will be optimized for the usage and the Needs of the Pyra. So will it be made "lighter" to  eliminate overhead like unneeded programs and functions? How much must be coded new and included to make it work as good as possible on the mobile Handheld? Will it support all functions the Pyra may provide?
It's pretty light as it is on first boot, if people think it's too heavy you can just apt-get remove what you feel is wasted overhead.

True, but the dependency tree of debian packages can sometimes make that hard.  I honestly forget what happens if you apt-get remove something which another package claims a dependency on (even if that package is a meta-package, like the xfce desktop).  And whenever that package gets an update, AIUI, the package you removed will be reinstalled, unless you block its installation somehow.

Screenshots don't say that much about the current state of the OS anyway.

What you currently see is mostly the settings that I got tired of having to configure each time I boot a clean image, and that background image is so I can instantly see that everything is in place.

The "official" theming is still something that has to be done, and I'm sure you'll all have a nice fight about it here on the forums.

Most of the work is on stuff you'll never even see, or notice, as it's all automagically happening behind the scenes to give you a smoothly working pyra experience, without having to spend hours installing packages,editing config files and setting up hardware.

The main goal is to stay as close to debian as possible, only replacing/adding packages when there's a major advantage. (And getting all the hardware working properly is certainly one of them.)

Everything we add also has to be maintained, and it's far less work if you can just use the debian version, not to mention a lower chance of breaking things.

The way the image building (and the pyra meta packages) are set up should make it really easy to do custom images that do everything from a stripped down barely working standard debian install where you have to add everything yourself, to a fully configured pyra desktop image with whatever desktop environment(s) and programs you want.

I don't know, the Desktop seems "very empty" than the Pandora. Of course getting the OS work properly is more important, as cosmetic things can be changed in a second firmware.

The thing with GNU/Linux is that you can make it look however you want. There are a lot of window managers / desktop environments you can choose, and many of them are highly configurable, with many themes or skins or whatever. You can make it look very minimalistic, or you can have lots of shiny bells and whistles.

Asking for a screenshot of "the Pyra OS" is a bit like asking for a picture of "a painting". It's a matter of personal taste.

(Sure, at some point there will be some kind of default configuration, but that's about as relevant as the default photo they put in a picture frame.)

I don't know, the Desktop seems "very empty" than the Pandora. Of course getting the OS work properly is more important, as cosmetic things can be changed in a second firmware.
Well, that's also because the screenshots you see are 1920x1080 ;)

I will work on the default XFCE-Config as soon as I got a Pyra with screen, otherwise it's not possible to decide the needed sizes of all items :)

Well, that's also because the screenshots you see are 1920x1080
Well mine have been in 720p(except my early video playback youtube video) as I decided to get a monitor that matched the resolution of the actual LCD screen.

Well, that's also because the screenshots you see are 1920x1080 ;)

I will work on the default XFCE-Config as soon as I got a Pyra with screen, otherwise it's not possible to decide the needed sizes of all items :)
For the sake of my eyes, make them BIG! :D But I'm more worried about "desktop"programs from the PC that are not made for such tiny screens or mobile devices at all. I can imagine browsing with Firefox will result in very tiny fonts, it's even already small on the Pandora.

Back