Something New On Youtube

argor

new video of Gamegear EMU runing on the pandora

from MWeston
this was an emu I ported years ago for a custom ARM7 design. It doesn't rely on an OS as it works directly over hardware so I thought I would try it out.

It's really, really slow but then uboot is running slow, I'm not sure if the cache's are on and even the RAM timings are set for 'slow' just for complete stability.

The image is scaled up 3 times. At 1x, it's like playing a game on a postage stamp. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf01Hi6FCk

javaJake said:
Erm, it is slow. I hope they figure out what's causing that.
You'd hope so, otherwise all those people expecting N64 emulation are going to be in for a shock :p

It's cool to see something other than that colour cycling demo running though - the screen looks pretty nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a test of the LCD, linux isn't even running and it certainly isn't a speed test. We should probably delete that before people get the wrong idea, to see speed tests look at squidges videos.

It's not even that, it was just a way to get some constantly changing images on to the LCD to make sure it worked correctly and looked right.

craigix said:
It's just a test of the LCD, linux isn't even running and it certainly isn't a speed test. We should probably delete that before people get the wrong idea, to see speed tests look at squidges videos.
I agree. That video is just asking for clueless people to mock pandora.

It's a very good thing to leave it as is: people who don't care about looking for info will think the Pandora stinks and will stop asking for DC, N64 and DS emulation :D

I made the video private. It was a nice test to see how bright and colorful the display is and it was fun for me as a "let's do it because I can" moment but there are so many things going against it.

The processor is enabled just enough to load uboot and is not supposed to be running emulators and stuff :) I don't believe the caches are turned on, the RAM is running slow and the clock speed is in the OPP2 range.

My mission right now is not to do all that, but to thoroughly test everything populating the PCB so I'm not focussed on speed for anything, just functionality.

I also have a program with a bouncing ball going around the screen so I can check for ghosting but I won't make a video of that either so people won't ask why they would spend all this money for an updated pong machine ;) BTW, the ball leaves no ghosting trail, so that's good.

Laurent said:
It's a very good thing to leave it as is: people who don't care about looking for info will think the Pandora stinks and will stop asking for DC, N64 and DS emulation :D
not really, bad for sales.

MWeston said:
I made the video private. It was a nice test to see how bright and colorful the display is and it was fun for me as a "let's do it because I can" moment but there are so many things going against it.

The processor is enabled just enough to load uboot and is not supposed to be running emulators and stuff :) I don't believe the caches are turned on, the RAM is running slow and the clock speed is in the OPP2 range.

My mission right now is not to do all that, but to thoroughly test everything populating the PCB so I'm not focussed on speed for anything, just functionality.

I also have a program with a bouncing ball going around the screen so I can check for ghosting but I won't make a video of that either so people won't ask why they would spend all this money for an updated pong machine ;) BTW, the ball leaves no ghosting trail, so that's good.
Ok but excuse me for this "stupid?" question but why your pandora cpu don't run at the best clock speed?

How is work in fact the frequency set ? i am a newbie in that but i am very curious girl :)

Yeah, I can understand that ignorant people will can get the wrong impression from seeing videos of early dev.tests, but I on the other hand think that they are very interesting - it's cool to see the progress from the first staggering step, so please post more!
If only there was a way to keep them within the "community" for now.

I really wanted to see that but oh well. :(

Hurry up with the blog post ;)

Also there is a new youtube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7M44cS59k
I dont know if it has allready been posted but if it is then well just deal with it.

No you beat me to it, thx. lol It's just a LCD test hopefully certain devs are receiving their Pandora Dev Kits, so will see more stuff soon instead of twice a month like we have been as of late.

Speculation is fun.

EDIT: I just noticed his hand by the screen, I forgot how tiny it's going to be. It's going to be comfortable for me :) I'm 6'6 and I have huge hands.

Sorry:(

Yes it does look tiny but don't forget that there is no case on it yet ;)

Back