Something To Bring Along With Your Gp2x

Website
www.digitalawakening.net
SD cards may be quite practical due to the smal size but you can't have a lot of video material on them. So maybe a 1" USB HDD might do the trick? You might run out of batteries quite fast but running a GP2X plugged in with a USB HDD you get quite a nice movie player to bring along to your friends etc. TV out comes quite handy as well.

http://www.everythingusb.com/philips_10gb_...disk_drive.html

So, can one of these actually be used directly with a GP2X? And since I'm on the subject of USB media, what about reading from regular USB memory sticks?

the gp32 usb port is not powered and set to slave mode i think, so if you connect something to it nothing will happen.
On the gp32 it was possible to set the gp32 usb to host mode, so you could connect device (USB HDD, Wifi stick, USB Stick) under gp32linux, this could be also possible on the gp2x. We have to wait and see.
You also need the 5V USB needs, you could use a selfpowered USB hub or just make your own adapter ( i made one for the gp32, it just had 2 femal connectors and 4xrechargeables, worked well for wifi, no idea about hdd though)

I think a SD card is better than a microdrive since it doesent pull that much power from the machine. Maybe if you want to switch data from the hd to the sd. You can have presets with emulators and roms, movies, music and so on for travels.

Sonic-NKT: I think the GP2X is the same as the GP32 with regards to USB - it supports both host & slave, but it's not powered and there's no direct support, so it may have to be done via hardware bashing, which is difficult with linux in the background.

Certainly not impossible tho'

No USB host:

"GPX2 is portable multimedia player.
We have fully studied those feature , but due to the power supply and price issue ,we have decided not to adopt it.
But we are planing to add USB host for next model. "

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 15 2005 at 03:35 PM said:
No USB host:

We have fully studied those feature , but due to the power supply and price issue ,we have decided not to adopt it.
They're talking about powered host there. The MMSP2 certainly supports usb host and I'd be suprised if we couldn't set the usb to host mode on the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably means they'll need to make an adaptor lead to go from the gp2x's usb connector to a full usb socket, otherwise not a lot of things are going to be able to plug directly into the gp2x. Also, the board would need rerouting, which means new prototype boards being made to check the design, and then new solder masks, etc, etc. Costly for just adding powered usb host.

I wonder if I could buy the Apacer Share Steno CD311 in the uk...

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 15 2005 at 08:35 AM said:
No USB host:

AHHH, should I buy or wait :ph34r:

Buy, of course :)

Since GP2X uses standard connector, I might play with USB host a little when I get my unit.

Squidge posted on Sep 15 2005 at 07:31 PM said:
probably means they'll need to make an adaptor lead to go from the gp2x's usb connector to a full usb socket, otherwise not a lot of things are going to be able to plug directly into the gp2x. Also, the board would need rerouting, which means new prototype boards being made to check the design, and then new solder masks, etc, etc. Costly for just adding powered usb host.

I wonder if I could buy the Apacer Share Steno CD311 in the uk...

A quick search on Froogle threw this up :
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=1...partner=froogle

Couldn't see a size mind.
It would be pretty cool to use the GP2x as a HDD MP3 as well as it's many, many other functions. Take that, Apple...

Back